Ch. 22

Hermione's POV

I was awake long before I found the energy to open my eyes. I could hear small bits of shuffling and people talking here and there as I drifted in and out of sleep for hours. The left side of me was entirely numb; I wasn't even sure if I still had my arm. Did it get splinched off? The thought of that sent a shiver of fear down my spine.

After finally managing to crack my eyelids open, I could see someone pacing back and forth in front of the bed as they muttered quietly. There was hardly any noise except for the clicking of their shoes on the floor. Opening my eyes further, I was happy to see that it was Draco walking back and forth, reading papers that were in his hand.

I groaned as I shifted slightly and he jumped, racing over to me. "Oh thank Merlin!"

He took my right hand in his and pressed a kiss to my forehead as I made an attempt to sit up, but he gently but firmly held me in place. "Don't move; you need to rest still."

"I can rest while sitting up," I said quietly, the words catching in my dry throat.

A corner of his mouth lifted slightly as he shook his head. "Stubborn as always. At least let me get you more pillows."

"Alright, I can't really say no to more pillows," I sighed. Then I bit my lip and asked, "Do I still have my left arm?"

He laughed at that. "Yes, they put a numbing salve on your...injuries."

I couldn't help but notice the pain in his voice when he said that, but he turned away and returned shortly after with more pillows, arranging them behind me and then helping me to sit up slightly.

"How are you feeling?" He asked quietly, sitting on the bed next to me.

"Like I was ripped in half and the other half is missing," I answered.

Frowning, he sighed. "Well, the good news is that the Healers said you shouldn't have much scarring."

"What's the bad news?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You lost a lot of blood, and they want to keep you here for a few more days."

"Of course they do," I groaned. "How long was I out?"

"It's been nearly twenty-four hours," He said, squeezing my hand. "I was really worried that..."

He trailed off but didn't need to finish his sentence. I gave his hand a small squeeze and smiled at him. "I'm alright, Draco."

He returned the smile and then sighed. "I suppose I need to go tell the Healers that you're awake. I'm sure they'll want to check on you. Is there anything I can get you?"

I thought for a moment and then said, "Just some food and water. Will you be gone long?"

"I'll be back as quickly as I can." He smiled again and gave me another kiss before standing up and walking out of the room.

I sighed and looked around, taking in everything as I started getting a bit of energy back. There was a pile of paperwork on a chair against the back wall, along with a small black duffel bag that I could only assume was Draco's. I spied my phone on the chair next to it and reached out my right hand, groaning slightly as I tried to summon it to me.

The phone wobbled a bit but eventually rose off the chair and floated to my outstretched hand, and I grinned to myself triumphantly. There were a few unread messages from my parents wondering where I was and why I haven't talked to them in a few days, along with a message from Harry saying that the Minister gave me the rest of the week off due to the accident.