Ch. 39

Hermione's POV

Draco spent the better part of the morning pacing in the bedroom, mumbling everything he planned to say. I shook my head, trying to stay levelheaded and calm. I had to be strong for him, because I wasn't sure what this trial was going to do to him.

"Draco, they're going to rule in your favor," I said reassuringly.

"That's not what I'm worried about," He replied, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Then what are you worried about?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He sighed, pausing and looking up at the ceiling. "I'm worried they'll just let him off. Seamus was the only one who saw him put something in my drink."

"But everyone saw the way the potion affected you," I said, standing up and going to him. I put my hands gently on his cheeks and brought his head down so he was looking at me. "They saw how you turned."

He chewed on the inside of his cheek and then sighed again. "I know...I'm just worried it's not enough, I guess. Given my past..."

"Draco, why do you think Harry and Ginny are so willing to be witnesses in your defense?" I asked quietly. "They're going to see that you've changed, it's been four years since everything happened. Four years is a long time."

He smiled slightly. "I suppose."

I gave him a quick kiss and dropped my hands, still looking up at him. "This will all be over after today, don't worry."

"I can't promise anything," He said, shaking his head.

"If I need to get you a Calming Draught, I will," I offered.

"I may need to take you up on that," He replied, going to the mirror and straightening his tie. "Should I wear the suit jacket?"

"No, I think the dress shirt is just fine," I said, looking him up and down.

He frowned for a few moments before disappearing into the closet, reappearing a few moments later. He was buttoning up a grey vest that matched his tie, and went very nicely over his charcoal-colored shirt and black pants.

"You look great," I said, smiling at him. "You should wear vests more often."

"I typically only wear them at big meetings," He said, smiling in return. "I can probably get a few more though."

"I won't complain." I pulled on a pair of black pumps and stood up, going to the mirror. I had opted for a black pencil skirt with a light grey blouse tucked into it. Then I giggled slightly and looked back at Draco. "Did you mean to match me?"

He looked down at himself and then back up at me, grinning. "Happy accident. Though I won't be wearing that shade of red lipstick."

"I have a nice pink lipstick in the bathroom if you'd prefer that," I teased.

He simply laughed and shook his head. "Come on; we should be getting there soon."

We flooed into the Ministry and quietly made our way to the courtroom, hand in hand the entire way. I could hear him take a deep breath every so often in an attempt to calm himself down, and finally I pulled him off behind one of the pillars in the main room.

"Wait here," I said quietly, quickly apparating to my office.

I had to search for a minute or two, but I finally found a calming draught and apparated back to where I had left Draco. Thankfully he was still there, leaning against the pillar with his hands in his pockets.