Ch. 19

Hermione's POV

I never thought I'd say it, but Draco Malfoy is a really good cook. We ate dinner out on his patio, where thankfully he had placed a warming charm on the area so we could enjoy the outside without the cold.

"Alright," I said, putting my fork down and pointing my knife at him. "Where did you learn to cook like this?"

He laughed. "After four years of living on my own, it was either learn to cook or starve."

I rolled my eyes and grinned. "So dramatic."

"Of course!" He said, returning the grin. "You like it though."

"Let's not assume that just yet," I laughed, before leaning back in my chair and looking out at the city. "I can't get over this view."

"It's practically the same view from your apartment," He said, taking a bite of food.

"Yeah, but still. I'm not used to this," I said quietly.

"You'll get used to it soon," He said with a smile. "It only took me a week or two."

"You grew up in a manor though," I laughed. "I grew up in a house!"

"What does that have to do with anything?" He asked, confused.

"You're used to having the views and the elegance," I said, gesturing around. "I am not."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Would you rather me move you to one of the lower floors?"

"Don't you dare!"

He laughed at me and poured another glass of wine for me. "I would never do such a thing."

"You better not," I said mischievously. "I know where you live now."

"Oh, I'm so scared," He laughed. "You forget, I know all of your tricks."

"Not all of them." I took a drink of wine, watching his expression change from confidence to fear.

"Okay, maybe I am a little scared," He said.

I grinned. "I might be nice, we'll see."

"I guess I just need to keep feeding you to stay in your good graces," He laughed.

"Keep cooking like this and you just might be safe," I said.

"Good to know!"

We both shared a laugh and then fell into an easy silence as we continued to eat. I smiled to myself as I thought back to all the meals we shared in our common room during our last year, when we were in the Head Dorm together. Come to think of it, we had nearly every meal together. We would sit together during meals in the Great Hall, using that time to study together as well. And on weekends, we would go to Hogsmeade together, sometimes with Ginny or Blaise tagging along. We would go to the bookshop and get new books before going to the Three Broomsticks and having butterbeer while we chatted quietly or would read together.

"Hermione?"

I shook myself out of my memories and looked up at him. He gave me a concerned look and asked, "Is everything alright? You looked very lost in thought."

I smiled. "Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking about our last year again."

The concerned expression melted away to a smile. "That was a good year."

"Yeah," I said, looking off to the city. "Remember when we would study together at meals?"

He laughed. "I do; Blaise thought I had transferred to Gryffindor, I was at your table so much."