Ch. 23

Hermione's POV

I was released the next morning, and Draco insisted on travelling with me back to my apartment. Since we couldn't apparate and neither of our apartments were connected to the floo system, we ended up having to take a muggle bus. 

"Why can't we just take the Knight Bus?" He asked, looking around as we waited at the stop.

"Because I'd rather not be hitting every wall with every turn that the bus takes," I said simply, shrugging my non-injured shoulder.

He immediately looked away sheepishly, and I couldn't help but giggle. "It's alright, Draco. It won't be too long before we get back to the apartment."

He sighed and nodded, giving the bus a wary look as it pulled up. Thankfully I was right and we were walking up to my building about half an hour later. I was receiving many odd looks due to the bandages on my arm, and I felt awful that a lot of the people would look at Draco with disgust after they caught sight of my arm. But if Draco noticed this, he didn't let on. 

"Do you think you'll be able to apparate back to your office after this?" He asked as we stepped into the elevator.

"I'll probably have to," I said. "I can't just avoid an entire mode of travel just because I'm scared of getting hurt."

"Says the girl who doesn't want to use brooms," He said with a grin.

I scowled at him. "That's different. Brooms are slower and it's much easier for me to be seen on them."

"Whatever you say, love," He said as he looked up at the electronic pad that said what floor we were passing.

I stared up at him, feeling my face grow warm as the realization of what he said hit me. After a few moments he looked back down at me and gave me a confused look. "What's wrong?"

"You..." I swallowed the lump in my throat and stuttered, "You called me 'love'."

His eyes widened slightly. "It must have slipped out, I didn't even realize...is that alright? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

I silenced him with a kiss and smiled at him. "It's okay, Draco. I just wasn't expecting it."

He gave me a worried smile in return. "Are you sure? I don't want to rush things."

The elevator came to a stop and we stepped out, making our way to my apartment door as I said, "You're not rushing things, don't worry. It was cute."

I watched his shoulders drop as he relaxed and smiled to myself as I unlocked the front door with a wave of my hand and we both walked in. 

"Do you need anything?" He asked almost immediately after the door closed.

I laughed slightly. "This is my apartment, I'm supposed to ask you that."

"I know," He smiled. "But you're the injured one here, so I'm going to take care of you regardless of where we are."

Shaking my head, I said, "I don't want you to be bending over backwards just to help me."

"It's not really bending over backwards," He said, stopping in front of me and taking my good hand. "It's making sure that the woman I care about is happy and not hurting."

I couldn't stop the smile from spreading over my face. He smiled in return and pressed a kiss to my lips before straightening up. "Now, I don't think you should start working today."

"But my cases!" I argued. "I need to make sure the new ones I received this month are adjusting properly!"

"And I need to make sure that you have ample time to heal," Draco said simply. "I would much prefer if you didn't work for the rest of the week until you're more healed, but I know better than to try and win that battle with you."