6 - Savior

I closed my eyes and took a step forward.

The fall didn't take as long as I thought it would.

I felt my body being swallowed by cold water and it made me uncomfortable at first.

When I fell something hit my foot, probably a piece of wood and I could tell that it started bleeding but I didn't care at that point. I thought that everything was over.

My pain was finally gone. I had no worries about the future. Except for one thing that was still bugging me. I didn't know how my friends would feel when they found out I was dead.

Would they be sad? I guess so. I hope they won't be devastated for long because that's the last thing I want for them. I'm sure they'll be okay without me, it's not like I did anything special for them. I was just there, listening to their problems and hiding my own ones.

Breathing became harder and harder after few seconds. It was almost over. I swallowed so much water that I could almost feel how it was filling my lungs.

I always liked swimming when I was younger but I stopped doing it for some reason. Water always made me feel so relaxed. Even now when I'm about to die I don't feel discomfort, well if we don't count the fact that I can't breathe anymore.

I opened my eyes thinking that it would be the last time I would see anything. I was expecting to see total darkness but in my surprise there was a shining dot looking at me.

Am I already dead? Or am I hallucinating because of the lack of air in my body? I don't think it matters anyways.

I tried reaching out for the light but my body kept falling downwards. Soon my vision became blurry and my eyes heavy. I couldn't open them anymore and I realized it was time so I just stopped resisting.

I always wondered what it would be like after death. I guess I'm about to find out. I just hope it's better than my life. Who am I kidding? Anything's better than my life. That's why I decided to end it in the first place.

I felt awful pain in my chest area. It was almost like someone decided to start a fire in there. Few seconds later I felt something pushing on my heart.

"Jess..." I heard someone calling my name. "C'mon buddy, don't do this to me... Stay with me... Jess, can you hear me?"

Is this how it feels like to be dead? This sucks to be honest. I thought I'd return as a ghost or something to resolve my unfinished business but I can't even move or open my eyes. Oh, that's right I don't have eyes anymore since I'm dead. Wait, who was that person calling my name? He sounded like someone I know. I'm probably just imagining things.

"Jess, don't leave me." I heard him again. "I need you here. Please... you have to open your eyes. "

He sounds awfully familiar. Wait a second, am I not dead yet?

Ugh, I was supposed to die in peace but apparently that's too much to ask for.

But this person's saying that they need me. No one ever needed me. I'm a mess. Why would anyone ever need me? I'm pretty useless to be honest.

I felt water pouring out of my mouth. My lungs were finally free so I could breathe again. I started coughing because of how cold I was feeling after jumping into a lake in the middle of the night. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, it was like 9 pm but still water was pretty much frozen, or at least it felt like it was frozen but I'm no expert so don't quote me on that.

I finally opened my eyes. At first everything was so blurry and I couldn't quite tell what was going on around me.

"Oh, thank god, you're okay." I heard my savior's voice. Soon my vision came back and I was surprised to see my cousin Dylan staring at me with a worried look in his eyes. "What the hell were you thinking? Why would you do something like that, Jess? If you had some problems why didn't you just come to me? You know that you can tell me anything, right?"