8 - Let Me Take You For A Ride

"Maura Wilson is one of my best friends and being on her side is very important for our family so I expect you to be on your best behavior while you're staying in her house." My mother called me in the morning.

At first I even thought she actually called to check on me but that would obviously never happen. She always has a hidden agenda. Of course she wouldn't just call to check if I was doing alright after my suicide attempt. I mean she didn't know that I was trying to kill myself yet she knew that I got injured but she just called to take care of her perfect reputation.

"I got it, Veronica." I replied annoyed by her schooling. "Don't worry, I won't embarrass you in front of your friends."

"Make sure not to say anything about how your father left his job. If someone asks just say that he got a better offer from another company and that's why he decided to transfer."

"Stop bugging me already. I told you I won't say anything. She's not even here and she won't be back till next week so stop bothering me with your nonsense." I said.

"Watch your tone and don't forget who you're talking to, young man, I..." Her whining was way too much for me to handle so I just hung up.

Perfect start for the day! I packed my stuff in my bag and went outside of my room. Andrew told me he'd take me to school so I patiently waited for him.

"You ready?" I heard his voice from behind me and almost jumped from the shock.

"Um, yeah." I answered shortly because I didn't want to have a conversation with him.

I just wanted to clear my head after everything that happened to me. I promised Dylan that I'd explain everything today but I had no idea what I could say to him. Or my friends. They're probably even more worried since they didn't even have any idea what's going on with me.

That's what happens when you keep all these secrets for yourself for this long. But there's no one to blame for that other than myself. Everything could've been solved by simple communication and honesty but I'm the one who chose to lie and deceive people so now I'll be the one who'll pay the price.

"Are you feeling alright?" Andrew asked me while he was driving us to school.

"Yes, I'm fine." I responded quickly even though it was a lie.

I was anything but fine. My head was bursting from pain and my eyes were so heavy since I didn't even get enough sleep which wasn't a big surprise considering it's really hard for me to adapt to a new environment. But that wasn't the only reason for my lack of sleep. I couldn't even shut down my eyes without having another nightmare about drowning so I chose to just stay up all night.

"Oh, I almost forgot. I have practice today so we'll be going home a little late." He added.

"What? Why though? I can get back to your house myself, it's no problem." I said in hope of avoiding an awkward situation but Andrew's face was telling me that my wish would never come true.

"Huh, as if I'd ever let you do something like that. I'll be watching your every movement from now on so you won't do something reckless again." He responded.

"You're intruding in my personal space and I don't appreciate that. I already told you that I wouldn't do anything so you have no reason to worry at all."

"Well, I also have no reason to believe you. I don't trust you enough to let you off guard yet. But you can gain my trust as the time passes so don't irritate me and be a good boy, okay? It'll be easier for both of us if you do everything I tell you."

"That's what I live for!" I whispered sarcastically for myself but it turned out Andrew heard it as well.

"That's the spirit!" He added.