41 - Old Friend

"I'm so sorry again."

"Stop apologizing. I already told you that it's fine." I tried to convince my friend Lucy who was calling me nonstop to let me know how ashamed she was because of what she did. But I had already forgiven her. It was partly my fault that she couldn't trust me so there was no point in putting all the blame on her and it's not like she did something unspeakable, she was only trying to protect me.

"Oh, I feel so awful." She kept on insisting. "Please tell me that you don't hate me."

"What?" I couldn't believe my ears that she would ever think I hated her. "Of course not. You're my best friend and nothing in the world will ever change that. I was a bit too harsh on you. I mean what you did is definitely wrong but it's not the end of the world. After all, you had my best interest at heart."

"I'm relieved to hear that." Lucy answered. "You have no idea how worried I was."

"I already said that I forgive you. But you have to promise me that you won't do anything like that ever again." I wanted to rebuild the trust Lucy and I once had. "And in return I promise I won't keep any more secrets from you. I've been lying for so long that sometimes I'm not even sure if I can trust myself."

"Of course, I'm not going to go behind your back ever again." Lucy quickly responded. At this point her apologetic tone was almost gone and she was back to being as cheerful as ever. "Oh, by the way, what are we going to do about Andrew? He keeps asking me where you are. Don't you think it would be best if you just talked to him?"

"No... There's nothing left to say. I've already explained everything in that letter. Seeing him will just make everything even harder. I'm trying to forget about him and I can't do that if I'm constantly reminded of him. So from now on don't even mention him. I don't want to hear about how his doing and who he's dating or anything like that, got that?"

"Wait, what?" Lucy was genuinely shocked and annoyed when she heard my words. "So you're just going to let that bitch Violet win? Oh, hell no. Not on my watch. I will never let that whore steal your man."

When Lucy mentioned Violet I remembered what Mason said. He told me that she was back together with Andrew but at that time I thought he was only telling me that to annoy me but now I realized that maybe what he was saying wasn't very far from the truth.

"My man?" I almost started laughing. "First of all, he's not mine and second of all, weren't you the one who was constantly telling me I shouldn't have trusted him? You hated Andrew and now you're acting like he's the Holy Grail or something."

"That was before I knew he had feelings for you." Even though we were talking on the phone I could still tell how emotionally invested Lucy was. "That changes everything. I mean, what he did was really stupid but it's not like you were the most honest person on the planet either. You had your fair share of secrets too. And let's be honest, you don't exactly have many other options. I just don't want you to end up alone and miserable and Andrew already likes you so the hardest part is practically done."

"Ouch, that was too brutal even for you." I wanted to get angry at her but at that time I was already pretty self-conscious about my appearance so I knew Lucy had a valid point. "You're making it sound like I'm Shrek. I may not be the Prince Charming but I'm definitely not that bad looking."

"Oh, dummy, I'm just teasing you." Lucy replied with her baby voice. "I know you're very handsome. I just think you should be with Andrew because of your letter. You definitely said you had feelings for him too so why are you trying to deny that now?"

"Yeah, but that isn't enough for me to forgive him just like that. I was very emotional when I wrote that letter and it doesn't matter if I like him or not. It's not that easy, you know. There are so many other factors I have to consider." I was honestly not sure why Lucy was pushing this subject when I clearly told her I didn't want to talk about it. "And why would I even want to be with him when all he did was blackmail me and lie to me. Not to mention that his parents aren't too happy with us being together either and his dad giving me a ticket to move out of town just proves that we could never have a normal relationship."