10 - Lips Don't Lie

"What is this place?" Andrew asked when we entered the cabin in the middle of nowhere.

"It belongs to my dad. I think his father built it long time ago. We used it for a camping trip once or twice so it's safe to stay here. We should get some sleep and in the morning we can go back to the road and try to stop a car or something. Maybe we can even get a signal on my phone and I can call my friends and they'll pick us up." I answered after I closed the door.

It was a pretty cold night even though the moon was shining but that didn't help at all. I started looking for something that could keep us warm. I found a match so I decided it would be a good idea if we started a fire in the fireplace but there was no wood inside so I opened the door to go and search for some.

"Where do you think you're going?" Andrew told me with a strict tone in his voice as if he was demanding an explanation.

"I'll go look for some wood so we can build a fire and warm up a little." I replied and continued walking but he got up from where he was sitting and stood in front of me, blocking my way.

"It's way too dangerous out there. I'll do that instead of you." He said and remained in his current position.

"Well, I was also a little bit hungry so I wanted to look for some fruit or something. Besides I can take care of myself very well, I don't need your protection. I've been doing that for my entire life so I don't want anyone's help." I answered and tried to remove him from my way but he didn't even shake.

"I said I would do it!" He almost shouted. "I'll find something to eat as well. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not doing this because of you, I just know that you'll get yourself in some sort of trouble and you might even die. I don't want to be the one who'll have to explain to your parents why you're not alive anymore. So if you think about it hard enough you'll realize that I'm doing this for my own sake."

"Whatever you say. I was tired anyways. Just don't go too far and be careful." I responded and went back to the cabin.

Few minutes later he came back with some dry sticks and a few berries in his hands. I've never eaten this kind of berries before so I was excited to try them but I was also scared that they might have been poisonous. Andrew saw how I was looking at them and he started.

"They're totally eatable. I already had some." He said.

"Are you sure?" I asked with a worried look on my face.

"Yes, I'm sure. I know how to differentiate them from the poisonous ones."

"If you insist." I replied and grabbed the berries from his hand.

I was so hungry that at this point I could eat a poisonous food too as long as I didn't have to starve. It wasn't much but it was good enough if we considered our current situation.

While I was busy having dinner Andrew managed to start a fire and we warmed up a little.

"We should get some sleep soon so we'll wake up early. We don't know if we'll have any luck finding a transport tomorrow and we might be late for school." I told him.

"You're right." He responded.

"Um, what are we going to do about Kristen situation though? I think we should go to the police or at least tell an adult. It's way too dangerous to act so carelessly." I said but I knew that Andrew wouldn't agree.

"Leave that to me. Don't tell anyone about this, okay? Or you know what will happen." He argued.

"I don't understand why you don't want to go to the police. Or at least tell your parents. They have the right to know that someone's threatening their son's life. Your dad is also in danger."