57 - Falter

No.

There's no way.

This can't be what I think it is.

But what if... Ugh... How am I supposed to tell my grandma? Ever since grandpa passed away she's been on the edge and if I tell her there's something wrong with me, I'm not sure she'll be able to handle it.

I don't even want to say it out loud because I feel like that will make it all too real...

I know it's not my job to protect her from this... She's the parent and I'm the child but I still can't help to feel responsible for her emotions. I don't want to hurt her feelings but if this is what I think it is she'll find out eventually.

Maybe I'm wrong... Let's hope that's the case or else... You know what, I don't even want to think about it. It's just a suspicion so it may not even be accurate. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. There's really no point in worrying now.

It's too early to tell. I can't just announce it because of a mere speculation anyways.

But if something like this happens again I will have to tell someone. I won't be able to hide it even if I wanted to...

Damn it! This is the last thing I needed in my life!

"Can you stop standing there like a statue and actually help me...?" Tiffany's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Give me that lug wrench so I can finally change this stupid flat tire!"

It wasn't surprising that she was this frustrated. We almost got in a car crash because of that stupid tire so I couldn't really blame her for being so over the top but for some foolish reason I didn't even feel a thing during that entire process. It's like I was watching everything from someone else's point of view.

"I don't know what that is..." I replied shamefully.

This was really awkward for me because I really wanted to be helpful but I knew nothing about cars except sitting on a passenger's seat so obviously I wasn't that good of an assistant.

"The thing that looks like a cross..." Tiffany growled roughly with an angry voice.

"It looks more like an X to me." I pointed out while I was giving the lug wrench to her. Even though she seemingly ignored everything I said I didn't really bother to repeat it.

After a few minutes Tiffany gently pulled the tire towards her until it completely detached from the vehicle. Once she was done removing the flat tire she set it on its side so that it wouldn't roll away.

Another few minutes passed and she was finally done placing the spare tire on the place of a previous one. When she rose up her entire face was covered with dark black oily liquid.

Let's just say that she didn't look as pretty as before...

"What? Why are you staring at me like that?" Tiffany rose her eyebrow suspiciously.

"Uh... nothing. It's just that there's something on your cheek..." I couldn't really tell her that it looked like someone took a dump on her face without hurting her feelings so I restrained myself.

"Oh..." Tiffany pulled out a small mirror from her purse and started adjusting her makeup. "Thanks for the help by the way." Then she added sarcastically.

"Hey, don't give me that attitude..." I got slightly annoyed. "I know nothing about cars and it's not like I asked you to take me somewhere. I didn't even want to come in the first place." I took a deep breath and once I calmed myself I continued. "Maybe I should just call my grandmother and ask her to take us back home... I'm not all that excited about this trip anyways."