62 - Oblivion

Why does he want to see me?

What does he want to say to me?

What will happen once I meet him again?

That was what I was asking to myself while I was on my way to see my father who was supposedly in a critical condition but I couldn't find an answer to any of those questions.

Even though I had my suspicion about why my father wanted to see me I didn't want to get my hopes up in case I was wrong. Also the fact that he didn't even show up after I was basically kicked out from my hometown was enough for me to realize he didn't care about my fate. If my theory was correct then he probably only wanted to talk to me to clear his conscience.

But I believed that people could change if they really tried. Maybe dad was also one of those people.

Or maybe he just wanted to say goodbye before he would...

You know what, there's really no point in bothering to think about that. I was just beating around the bush.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Grandma's concerned tone snapped me out of my dizziness. "If you don't feel comfortable we can just go back. You don't have to talk to your dad if you don't want to."

"No..." I responded doubtfully but soon regained my confidence. "I'll probably regret it later if I don't give him a chance now."

"Alright..." Grandmother finally seemed calmed even though I could tell she preferred for us to not to go there. "But if you feel threatened or unwelcomed you can tell me and we'll leave this place immediately. I'm only allowing this visit because it's an extreme circumstance but you don't have to see him if you don't wish to. I just want you to know that you have options. Don't force yourself if you're not comfortable with it."

"Yes, I understand." I smiled to reassure her. "But it's fine. I actually want to hear him out."

Optimistic side of me woke up for some reason thinking that after I resolved my conflict with my father maybe that would also positively affect my mental state. Don't get me wrong I wasn't going there just because of my personal gain. I really wanted to forgive and forget. I was just too tired of this drama already and I believed this would be good not only for me but for everyone.

"Okay then..." Grandma replied but I could tell she didn't approve any of this. "Let's go inside. I'll come with you."

She hesitantly put her hand on the door before pushing it down. For a split second I wasn't able to see anything because she was standing right in front of me but once she got inside the room I also followed and my eyes immediately searched for my father. When I finally saw him lying on the bad unconsciously I noticed his face was almost unrecognizable because of all the wounds and scraps.

Strange feeling of sadness suddenly spread through my entire body. I wasn't expecting to be this burdened from just by seeing my injured dad. I thought I wouldn't care that much but I suppose I was wrong.

"What are you doing here?" I heard my mother's annoyed voice so I turned to face her and she stood up from the chair she was sitting on a few seconds ago. "Go back to where you came from!"

"We're here because your husband is dying. But it seems like you don't even care. Why am I not surprised...?" Grandmother answered before I was even able to open my mouth.

I really wasn't in the mood to listen to their arguing but I didn't dare to interrupt because I knew how stubborn my family members could get and if I tried to stop them they would do the complete opposite and probably redirect their aggression towards me. I didn't want to become the victim of their inappropriate fight but I also felt uncomfortable thinking that their loud voices would wake my father up.