39 - Save The Cheerleader, Save The World

"Wait, you dyed your hair?" My friend Lucy almost jumped out from the phone when I called and informed her about what happened to me.

I wasn't able to call her yesterday because when I bought a new number it was pretty late and I didn't want to wake her up so I figured I'd say hi in the morning while I was walking to my new school. Grandma offered me a ride but I was so angry at her that I said no. But soon I wished I hadn't because when I stepped outside it started snowing. Even though I loved snow I couldn't really stand cold weather.

I know, that doesn't really make sense because it's usually pretty chilly outside when it snows but I mostly preferred staying inside a warm and comfy house and watch how snowflakes were falling down from the sky.

"No..." I sighed and tried not to sound furious. "My grandma tricked me and told the hairstylist to dye my hair blond. Ugh... I'm so annoyed right now."

"Are you kidding? That's amazing!" Lucy couldn't help but feel amused. "I was begging you to let me change your hair color and now you finally did it! I have got to see it. Please send me a picture, okay?"

"Glad to see that at least one of us is happy." I commented but I knew she wouldn't give up until I sent the picture so I finally agreed. "I'll send you a photo later."

"Yay!" She squealed with delight. "So... Are you excited for your first day?"

"Not at all..." I said truly because I knew there was no point in lying about this when it was pretty obvious I didn't want to go to new school at all. "If anything I'm terrified."

"Oh, don't worry, Jesse, I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends. Especially now that you're blond." I didn't know what she meant by that to be honest because my hair color was the last thing I cared about at that moment. "But I hope you won't forget us in the process."

"I would never." I cracked a smile and continued walking on a snowy road. "How's Felicity by the way?"

"She's doing fine as always but I can tell she misses you a lot." Lucy replied.

"I miss you guys too." I felt a weird feeling in my stomach whenever I thought of my friends. It wasn't discomforting but it definitely felt strange. "I'll text her later and see how she's doing."

"Yeah, do that. She'll be so happy."

Suddenly I remembered something that was on the back of my mind for a really long time. I didn't want to ask Lucy in case she'd freak out again but I couldn't resist temptation for much longer.

"Um... by the way, about the letter that I gave you..." I started awkwardly. "Did you give it to Andrew?"

Lucy didn't respond and for a second I thought she hung up or something until she spoke up. "Yes... I did. But he wasn't happy when he found out you left."

"Wait, what happened?" I got nervous.

"Well, he pretty much freaked out and started asking me where you went."

"What?" I panicked for a moment. "Please tell me that you didn't reveal my location to him."

"Of course not. I would never do that without your approval." Lucy replied and I felt like I could breathe again until she added something else. "But... how come you never told me you guys were... a thing?"

I was so shocked that I almost fell on the ground when I heard her question. "Um... how do you know about that?" I responded but then realized what I just said and tried backing out. "I mean, we were never a thing..."

"Please don't be mad at me." I knew that I'd be very furious with Lucy because every time she'd say that sentence I ended up doing the exact opposite. "... But I read your letter."