Vincent (V.W)

VINCENT'S POV

March 19th, 1959. 3:34 pm. Stanford University.

"Mr. Winter! What's the answer?" Professor Brown asks.

I look down at my note book. "Um, twelve over one?" I sadly attempt to cover my French accent. No one here really knows that I'm French or related to a rock 'n' roll star. I try to keep both of those under wraps.

Professor Brown nods. "Correct! How did you come to that answer?"

I try to quickly explain how I somehow managed to get there.

"Yes, good job, Mr. Winter."

I look back down at my paper and pick up my pencil. I'm the last of the triplets to carry the Winter name, naturally. Of course, I'm the only male. I always knew that Violet and Juliet would be married early. I always knew.

The professor announces we can leave and I quickly pack up my things and shove them into my bag. I wander out to the courtyard.

"Vinny!" I hear.

I turn around as Linda runs up and basically jumps on me.

"Hey ma poupette." I laugh. "How are you?"

"I'm great!" She smiles and kisses my cheek. "How are you?"

"Good, good. My sister had her babies!"

"Violet was pregnant?!"

I shake my head. "No! No, Juliet. She just had twin boys."

Linda nods and tucks a piece of short brown hair behind her ear. "Oh!"

"I guess I'm offically an uncle." I grin. "Can't wait to meet them!"

"Mhm, when are you going?"

"Spring break, so next week." I reply, starting to walk to my dorm. "I think Buddy and Vi are already going to be gone by then. I haven't see them in a year."

"Aw, I'm sorry Vinny."

"Just busy, all of us." I'll never admit just how much I miss Buddy.

"What was that call about, anyway?" Linda grabs my hand.

"Don't worry about it." I mumble. "Personal matters between us three."

"But Vin, I bet Vi told Buddy!"

"They've been attached at the hip for damn near eight years, they live together, and they're married. Of course he knows."

"I bet Juliet told Russ!"

"Again, been together a long time, live together, married."

"C'mon, you gotta tell me!"

I shake my head. "No, it's too personal. Too hard to talk about."

"Is it about France?!"

I stop in my tracks. "Shhh! I do not want people here knowing!"

"Why not? Are you not proud?"

"Just please don't say. I don't want anyone to know. People here just think I'm English. Let it be."

"Oh? So Mr. Baseball star can't be French?"

"Linda, please. Not now, I just want to do my homework and see how the babies are."

"Do you even love me, Vincent?" She scowls.

I roll my eyes and push up my glasses. "Yes, of course I do. Please, leave my past alone. Maybe I'll tell you in the future, but right now I just want to call my sister and check on my nephews."