Broken (B.H)

September 19th, 1959. 8:39pm. The Hop On Inn, Jackson, Mississippi

"I did not! I would never try something like that, Buddy! C'mon, man, I didn't even touch Vi! She's making it all up," Don rambles. "Who're you gonna believe? Your best friend or some woman?"

"Don, Vi isn't just 'some woman'! She's my woman! She's my wife! I've committed my entire life t'her, she's done the same for me. We're together forever, and she wouldn't lie t'me!" I feel my hands start to get clammy. "Don, really, she would never. I've known her for too long, I know when she's lyin'. Please just tell me the truth!"

Don shakes his head. "The truth is that I never kissed her! I'd never make a move, Buddy. She's your girl and I got my girl. I dunno if I'd trust anythin' Vi says, anyway. You said yourself that she's broken,"

"I never once said that! I would never say somethin' like that 'bout anyone, but especially my wife! Seriously, just tell me the damn truth and we can be done with this conversation!"

"I told you the truth!"

"Then why is Violet so upset? Then why is Phil telling me that you were braggin' about it? Why is Paul tellin' me the same things?"

"Because that wife of yours brainwashed 'em!"

"Don, just fuckin' tell me! Just tell me the truth and we can sort it out!" I feel more and more anger start to build up in my chest. It feels like I'm about to explode. I've been this angry exactly once in my life, and that was towards Vincent Winter. That encounter didn't end well to say the least.

"What do you want me to say?! I didn't do it!"

"You're a horrible liar, Don,"

"I'm not-"

"Forget it, Don. Just fuckin' forget it..." I say quietly. I turn to walk out.

"Go tell that slut of a wife to mind her damn business while you're at it!" Don taunts.

Before I know what I'm doing, my fist hits Don's face and there's blood pouring from his now crooked nose.

Oh shit...did... I break his nose?

His hands fly to his nose. "What the fuck, Buddy!? You just fucking decked me!"

"Don't call her that, you asshole," I say calmly. "Never insult Violet again, got it?"

He rolls his eyes as the blood starts to spat on the ground. "Fine!"

"You owe her an apology, you bastard," I turn around to walk away once again. "And don't ever lie t'me again."

I finally walk out of the hotel room and head down the hall to mine and Vi's. I'm still shaking with both anger and nerves. I've only punched one other guy before, and it was Vin.

It felt so good, though. It felt so good to punch him. I've been holding it in since Vi first told me he kissed her two weeks ago. I've been trying to work through the situation in my head ever since, imagining every possible scenario of when I would confront him.

Well, every scenario besides the one that just happened. I never thought I'd actually punch one of my best friends.

I love Violet with every ounce of me, I can't let anyone tread her down like that. She doesn't deserve it, she doesn't need it. She's had enough bullshit in her life, I want to protect her the best I can. I never want her to feel sad again. I would take any negative emotions she might feel, just so she never has them again.

I make it to our room and reach into my pocket, only to realize I forgot the hotel key. I knock on the door.

"Who's it?" I hear Violet respond.