Desi (V.W)

October 3rd, 1954. 6:29 pm, the Winter household

I hear the doorbell ring and I slowly stand up from my spot on the couch and head toward the door.

I peek out and I see Buddy standing there with a large bouquet of flowers and a card in hand.

I frown and slowly open the door. "Hey,"

"Hey, Vincent," He smiles. "Is Vi home?"

I nod and step to the side, motioning him inside. "She's in her room,"

"Thanks!" He steps in.

"What are the flowers for this time?" I question, closing the front door.

Buddy shrugs. "I dunno, just felt like she needed a little 'pick-me-up' today."

"You treat her really well, you know that?"

"I try my hardest, Vin. I really, really do. I can't let her slip through my fingers." Buddy says, walking up the stairs and heading into Vi's room.

I follow him up and act as if I'm going into my room. Buddy and I are about the same height now. Huh. His...ass is right at my eye height...not that I'm looking or anything.

I stop at my door just as Buddy gets to Vi's. Buddy does a special little knock, the door opens, a hand reaches out, and he's pulled inside.

I tiptoe down the hall and carefully put my ear to the door.

"I love you so much!" I hear Vi exclaim.

"I figured you needed somethin' today."

"You're the best boyfriend in the whole world, oh my gosh," I hear her kiss him. I can't tell if its on his cheek, on the lips, on his head, I have no idea.

"I love you more than anythin', doll,"

I hear something being set down. I can only assume it's the flowers and the card.

The bed creaks. I think they sat down.

"I've been really down today," Vi says. "Thank you so much,"

"I know, that's why I brought you all the stuff,"

I guess I've known that Vi's been really sad recently, but I can't say I know why.

"I can't believe I've got you. I've got to be the luckiest girl, I swear. You're the sweetest, most adorable, most caring, most amazing man in this world," Vi gushes. "I'm so in love with you,"

"Doll, I've gotta be the luckiest. You're the best, and you deserve nothing less than the best." Buddy replies. "I'm so in love with you, too."

"Kiss me?" Vi laughs.

"Don't ever gotta ask, doll. I always will," I hear the bed move, I assume Buddy leaned over and is kissing her.

I wish I was my sister.

December 10th, 1953. 8:18 pm, the Winter Household.

I take my glasses off and put them on my nightstand. What kind of man feels this way for another one? I'm broken, I have to be. Men don't like other men. Men like women. Maybe if I try hard enough, then I'll start to like girls. I have to like girls. It's the rules. Men don't like men. Women don't like women. It's been like that since the beginning of time.