Bipolar (B.H)

BUDDY'S POV

July 11th, 1959. 7:17 am. Nice, France.

"You sure you're okay with all this, Vi?" I cautiously ask.

She nods surely. "I'm ready!"

I set my suitcase on the bed. In all honesty, I'm the nervous one. I've never been to a country that doesn't speak English. Actually, I've never really been in a situation where the person I'm talking to doesn't. The closest I've been is when Vi (for some god forsaken reason) can't remember when she wakes up. Atleast I can make out what she's trying to say.

"So excited!" Vi smiles widely. "It's going to be rough, but I'm excited!"

I weakly grin. "Yeah, me too."

The psychological impact on Vi is gonna be harder than she thinks. I know her pretty damn well, and she, most definitely, isn't ready.

She starts to bounce up and down on her toes. "I love France!"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah! I love it and I love Koch and I love you and I love traveling and I love Juliet and Vincent and I love it!"

Welp, I guess she's manic right now. Better than being depressed or angry or uptight right now. Hopefully she stays manic.

"That's great, doll!"

"Buddy," she says, suddenly serious. "What do you think is wrong with me?"

Damn it I spoke too soon.

I look over to her and furrow my brows. "Uh, what?"

"Sometimes I'm really, really happy. Other times I'm really, really sad. Other times I'm angry and everything else! There has to be something wrong!"

"Can we talk 'bout this later?"

"But Buddy, I have issues."

"I know, doll. It's okay."

"Am I bipolar?!"

I shake my head. "No, I don't think so."

"How would you know?"

"Because I've researched it, okay? I don't think you're bipolar. People with that are usually much more..."

"Insane? Crazy?"

"Sure, those."

"And what makes you the expert on that?" She crosses her arms and scowls.

"I ain't claimin' t'be an expert. I read a couple books, that's all."

Is she okay? She's never this angry.

"You read some books and all the sudden you can diagnose me?!"

"Vi, please, calm down," I say softly.

"What do YOU think is wrong with me?!"

"You want the truth?"

"Yes!"

"I think that you have Borderline Personality Disorder."

"What's that?"

"A mental illness?"

"No, what are the symptoms?"

"Intense episodes of anxiety, irritability, depresson, distorted self image and such. Then other times they feel fine. Then they get an episode for a few hours, then they're fine."

"What else?"

"Well, the book said impulsivity, self destructive behaviors, social isolation, compulsive behavior, uh, and other stuff."