Don (V.H)

September 9th, 1959. 4:43 PM. Backstage Dressing Room

"Yeah, Kerri is pretty okay. But Vi, can I tell you something?" Don asks, leaning in.

"Yeah, go ahead," I reply. People always seen to open up to me out of no where.

"I think I rushed into marriage with Kerri. I like her and all but I'm not too sure if I'm in love with her. Well, as in love with her than I thought,"

"Have you ever been in love before, Don?" I question.

He shrugs. "Sometimes I think I have been and sometimes I don't. It's weird, I know. How does someone not know that they're in love?"

"I didn't know I was in love with Buddy for months. It's not weird at all,"

"Months? Hell! Do you think you're in love with me?!" Don laughs.

I shake my head. "No, no I don't,"

"But you wouldn't know for months,"

"That's before I knew what love felt like. Now I know and I'm throughly in love with Buddy," I say, trying to deflect the weird flirty tone he's trying to use.

"Vi?"

"What?"

He quickly leans in and kisses me.

I yank my entire body away. "DON! What was that?!"

"What?" He smiles.

"Don, don't, no. No. I don't like you like that, I only have eyes for Buddy!"

"How do you know if you don't try?"

"I know because I love him more than anything! I know because I married him and I know because I still get butterflies when I see him and I know because I've never even looked at you in that way,"

"C'mon, Vi. We're good friends, you're gorgeous, why don't we just try?"

"Because I'm married! Because I don't want to!"

"Buddy wouldn't suspect a thing! Hell,  he trusts us enough to be alone together in a locked dressing room,"

I stand up. "He shouldn't have to worry about that! It shouldn't even have to cross his mind! He trusts us for a God damn reason. He should be able to step out for half an hour to go get some dinner without worrying about his wife and his friend hooking up!"

"Vi, you're over reacting. He wouldn't care,"

"Yes he would! Jesus, Don. Have you ever been cheated on? It really fucks you up," I say calmly. "Buddy is the love of my life, and you aren't going to get in the way of that,"

"I-"

"No. I hope you know that Buddy is going to hear about this. I'm sure Kerri will too. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit with someone who won't try to get me to cheat on my husband," I walk out of Don's dressing room and into Buddy and I's. The whole reason I even went in there was because Don wanted to ask me more about how women work. I suspect that wasn't his intention at all. I suspect his intention was for him and I to start having a secret little affair.

I close the door and sit down, putting my head on the counter. Buddy trusted Don. I trusted Don. Did I give off some sort of romantic impression? I've never tried to.

I hear the dressing room door open and I sit up. Buddy's back with some dinner.

"Hey doll," he grins. "I didn't know what t'get you so I went safe and got biscuits and gravy,"

I smile at him. "Thank you so much, I love you,"

"Love you too, baby," he says, setting down the bag of food and the two drinks. "Since we're in the south, you know I had t'get sweet tea. I sure miss it,"