➖chapter one➖

10th Century, A.D.

Davina smiles as she sits cross-legged on the grass. She looks up at the clear sky before glancing down at the book in her lap. She lights the candles surrounding her with a snap of her fingers. Davina begins reading off of the page in the book, just as flowers begin growing in the grass around her.

When Davina looks up, she lets out a laugh once she sees all of the flowers surrounding her. "I did it. I did it."

"You did it, darling. I'm proud of you."

Davina turns around and shoots Kol a smile. "Thank you for letting me borrow your mother's grimoire. My mother would forbid me for doing any type of magic."

"That just means she's missing out on all of your potential," Kol tells her as he sits down next to her. "Don't take this the wrong way, love, but your mother's a scoundrel."

"She really is. I've been meaning to ask, how's your family? Is Rebekah back yet? I haven't seen her in far too long," Davina says in a wistful tone.

"Actually, she'll be back tomorrow. It doesn't take two to gather ingredients for a spell, but Mother insisted. You know how she is."

Davina chuckles and nods. "Yes, but she's lovely. As are your brothers, whom really don't need to continue sending me gifts. Please tell them that."

"Ah, but they're all so fond of you, Davina. Of course, I am the fondest, but I like to think I don't have to battle for your affections."

"Haha, of course not. You know that I love you, Kol. Though, it's getting harder and harder to tell you apart from Elijah. One of you ought to get your hair chopped or something. Otherwise, I might end up kissing the wrong brother," Davina teases.

"Sometimes, it is a burden that we share the same dashing, good looks," Kol chuckles. "But I know that you are more familiar with me, so that could never happen."

"That is true." Davina suddenly stands up and looks towards the dirt road. "Do you hear that? The horses?"

"Yes, they're quite loud. I have no idea who it could be."

The horses come into view, making Davina grin with delight. She hurries over to the road, with Kol not too far behind her. The passengers dismount and one rushes over to Davina.

"Davina, you're here! I'm so glad."

"Rebekah, I thought you were coming back tomorrow? Not that I mind, I love seeing you," Davina giggles and tosses her braid over her shoulder.

"Mother was able to gather the ingredients quicker than we assumed. Just in time, too, for the full moon."

"Oh, I've completely forgotten about that. It's tomorrow, isn't it?"

"It is, so be sure to lock yourself inside to keep from the werewolves."

"Bex, don't I get a hug?"

Rebekah looks at Kol and laughs. "Of course, Kol. You're still practicing magic, right, brother?"

"I could never resist, sister. Now, come here." The two siblings hug tightly as Davina and Esther watch.

"Now, children and Davina, you must be famished. Come inside and I'll make you some dinner," Esther says.

"I don't want to intrude, Esther. It's really not an issue," Davina tells her.

"Nonsense. You are a big part of this family, so you are no issue. Understand?"

"I understand. Thank you." Davina follows the three into their house and is immediately ambushed by the youngest Mikaelson.

"Davina, Davina! You're here," Henrick shrieks and hugs her waist.