➖chapter sixteen➖

Davina and Elena are working on a flower arrangement when Caroline sees them.

"Look, I got to go. Be careful, and remember, there is sublimating and then there's insanity." Caroline ends her call and looks at the two girls.

"So," Davina prompts in a dull voice. "You broke up with Stefan?"

"Yeah, I mean, come on," Caroline exclaims. "I mean, we're your best friends, and we'd never pick sides, but Stefan is your soulmate!"

"Totally not picking sides," Davina adds.

"It's not like I don't love Stefan anymore, but I can't deny that ever since I turned, my feelings for Damon have become more intense," Elena admits.

"Yeah, I know. Stefan filled me in on all the gory Damon details," Caroline snorts.

"Is he okay?"

"He's heartbroken, Elena," Davina tells her.

"What was I supposed to do? Lie to him?"

"No, but you weren't supposed to let Damon weasel his way into your confused, newbie vampire heart," Caroline protests.

"Well, he did, and that's exactly what I am. Confused. I need to figure out what these feelings actually mean."

Caroline turns to Davina with a curious expression. "Why do you look so glum?"

"Because I am glum," she replies.

"Why," Caroline prods.

Davina sighs and puts her flowers down. "Kol is leaving town for a few days, so I very well could be alone with Klaus in the Mikaelson house."

"Ohh," both Elena and Caroline murmur synchronously.

"And, of course, I'll miss my boyfriend, but I mean, I'll be in the house with Klaus alone. At night."

"Are you insinuating something?"

Davina's eyes widen and she shakes her head. "No, I mean he's just loud. And, I don't know, it's not like he doesn't bring women home to sleep with them. At least, I think that's what the moaning noises are." Both Elena and Caroline scrunch up their noses in disgust.

"Ew."

"I'm so sorry. Wait. Oh, god, I agreed to go on a date with him in order to get one of his hybrids. You don't think-"

"STDs aren't possible, and he's probably not going to try to sleep with you since he actually likes you, so you should be fine," Davina tells her.

"That's a relief. Davina, you're welcome to stay at my house, if you'd like. I've got space," Caroline offers.

Davina smiles in return. "Thank you. I might just take up your offer." When she looks up and practically has a conniption. "Professor Shane. What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Davina. Uh, I'm here to interview contestants, but I'm actually a little lost."

"Because you're absurdly qualified, right," Davina deadpans sarcastically.

"Hah, yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing," he chuckles nervously. "I think I'm going to be awarding a scholarship."

"Well, just follow the scent of hairspray and world domination," Caroline informs, saving him from Davina's death glare. "Inside the parlor."

"Thanks," he nods before walking away.

"I hate that guy," Davina scoffs.

"He's the one who told Damon how to break the Hunter's Curse," Elena murmurs.