➖chapter four➖

Davina stares at the blank, white ceiling. This was becoming a thing in the morning. She didn't really want to get out of bed. To be honest, she didn't even want to leave the room. Deciding that she had nothing better to do, Davina takes an extra pillow and rips it open.

She takes the feathers and scatters them around the bed. The last time she practiced this trick was for Henrick, years ago. Davina closes her eyes and murmurs the spell under her breath. The feathers slowly begin to levitate around her. When she opens her eyes, Davina lets out a chuckle and smiles widely.

"At least I didn't forget this spell, even if it's useless," she murmurs to herself. The door suddenly opens, causing Davina to lose her concentration. All of the feathers float back down.

"My apologies, didn't realize you were practicing magic," Kol says as he peers into the room.

"Well, I haven't done it in so long, so I just wanted to see if it worked," she replies. "My magic is overwhelming, though. Sometimes, it's hard to control."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"I've been laying in a box for a thousand years, linked to your Aunt Dahlia. She's been manifesting power from me and Freya, but since we're linked to her, we get that power back. It's kind of an endless loop. I just need to find a way to break it, but I have no idea how."

"Even though I haven't been a witch in ages, I still studied the craft. There's not one branch of witchcraft that I haven't read up on. If you ever need any help..."

"I'll let you know," Davina tells him with a small smile. "Thank you. Um, quick question...have you got any food?"

"Food," Kol repeats. "No, we've only got blood stored here. I can go get something for you, if you'd like."

"You don't need to go through the trouble. I should probably get back to Elena's, seeing as she left me...four voicemails? Whatever those are..."

"Seems like she wants to see you urgently, then. Guess you best be off," Kol states before turning and exiting the room. Davina frowns at this reaction but shrugs it off. She pulls on her denim jacket over Kol's shirt and then puts on some pants. Davina looks at the bed where the feathers are laying before grabbing her phone and takes off.

———————————————————————————————————

Davina enters the Gilbert house, only to be bombarded by Elena and her questions.

"Davina, where have you been? I called you, like, ten times last night. I was worried," Elena exclaims.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't you receive a message?"

"Yeah, a very vague one. Hey, got an errand to run. Be back tomorrow. What did you have to do that was so urgent?"

Davina looks at her curiously and shakes her head. "I don't know why Elijah wrote that. I was staying over at the Mikaelsons."

"You did? You had a sleepover at the house where the very family that's been terrorizing this town is living? And that shirt certainly does not look like yours. Did something happen?"

"Nothing happened. I just didn't have a shirt to sleep in. It doesn't matter now, Elena. Where's Alaric?"

"In a jail cell," she replies with a sigh. "He's been arrested as a murderer, which he is not."

"What? Is there any proof that he did it?"

"Meredith claimed that he was in her apartment with a knife, but I don't believe her. She shot Alaric and then healed him with vampire blood, only to have him arrested for the past killings. And he was one of the victims, for God's sake."