➖chapter nineteen➖

Davina's sitting in the bleachers of the high school auditorium. The memorial for Carol Lockwood was currently ongoing at the moment. Students were lighting candles in honor of her.

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand of its members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than a leader. She was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon," Sheriff Forbes says. "Please join me in observing a minute of silence in her memory."

Davina watches Tyler leave and hears Caroline calling after him. Davina then glances over to the other side of the gym and has to blink a couple of times. Rebekah was standing over there, and then she wasn't. Davina hands her candle to Bonnie and begins to make her way out of the bleachers.

Once in the hallway, she sees Elena following her. "Did you see what I saw?"

"Depends," Davina replies slowly. "What did you see?"

"Rebekah standing in the gym."

"Then, yes. I saw her, too." The two girls walk down the hallway, when Elena suddenly stops. "What?"

"Someone's crying." Elena goes towards the sound, so Davina hesitatingly follows her. They find April sobbing on the floor not too far away. "April? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine," she responds shortly.

"But you're crying," Elena points out.

"It's just the whole mayor thing, you know? It's bringing up stuff about my dad." Elena nods, understanding where she's coming from. "And I know you're a vampire."

"Next time, put a turn signal on that segue," Davina remarks, raising an eyebrow at April. Rebekah appears out of nowhere and snaps Elena's neck, surprising the other two girls. "Rebekah? Was that necessary?"

"No, but it was fun," she smirks.

"What are you doing?"

"Oh, you'll see, Davina. It'll be plenty entertaining for us."

———————————————————————————————————

Davina is kneeling next to Elena's unconscious body in the library, waiting for her to revive. When she suddenly gasps back to life, April walks in.

"The assembly's over," she informs them.

"Thank you for that incredibly useless piece of information," Davina retorts.

"What the hell is going on?" Elena looks between Davina and April, utterly confused.

"The school will be empty soon. How many times did you compel me? Don't...don't lie. Rebekah says you lie," April states.

"Rebekah isn't who you think she is, April," Elena mutters.

"What, she's not a thousand year old Original vampire?"

Davina rolls her eyes and stands up. "She is that, but she is also known for being a bit of a drama queen sometimes. This, this is one of those times."

"Very true," Rebekah comments as she steps into the library. "I like to have my entrances dramatic, much unlike my exits. So, Elena, why don't you take a seat? The rest of the class will be here soon."

"The theatrics are a bit much," Davina chortles humorlessly.

"Davina, you're here for a reason, too. Just be patient."

———————————————————————————————————

Davina and Elena are sitting at a table, though Elena's being compelled to stay there.