➖chapter twenty-seven➖

okay, this was so sad to read considering the originals finale that I'm still trying to get over. it sucked and I don't know if my heart will heal...
———————————————————————————————————

Davina was sitting at a table with the three Mikaelson siblings. She wasn't sure why she was joining in on this conversation, but she just went with it.

"Elijah, being a human means a fresh start. I can grow old and have a family and fill my days with meaning, knowing that each one matters," Rebekah states.

Klaus lets out a laugh. "Well, that was poetic."

"I think Rebekah has good reason for wanting to be human," Davina murmurs. "Preach, girl."

"Niklaus, if you can come up with a more compelling reason for wanting the cure, please do share," Elijah tells him.

"Silas can appear as anyone. He got inside my thoughts, convinced me that I was dying. He will torment me until I get him the cure," Klaus informs them.

"And in doing so, he will break down the wall to the Other Side," Rebekah remarks.

"So it doesn't trap him there when he dies. He wants to reunite with his long, lost soulmate." Klaus looks at Elijah. "You, of all lovesick fools, should applaud his devotion."

"He will open the floodgates for every supernatural being that has died," Rebekah says.

"Including our dear brothers, Kol and Finn. We will have our family, and Davina will get her lover back. Don't tell me you're opposed to this, love," Klaus smiles.

"Brother, don't put Davina in the middle of this. It's a tough decision and she doesn't need it on her shoulders," Elijah tsks.

"Plus, Nik, you hated Kol, and you kept Finn in a box for most of his life," Rebekah points out.

"Elijah, please," Klaus murmurs.

"Your personal discomfort might not be sufficient enough to be a reason to put the entire world in jeopardy, Niklaus. I think our sister deserves a shot at happiness."

"Tell me you're joking. Tell me you're not fating me to an eternity of torture."

"I made my decision," Elijah tells him firmly.

Klaus leans over to Rebekah and whispers in her ear. "When you're sick and dying, and you beg for my blood, I will laugh in your face and compel you to forget me." With that, he stands up and leaves the room.

Rebekah stares at Elijah expectantly. "Where is the cure?"

"Rebekah, it is no secret that you're impulsive, emotional, and at times, morally questionable. Prove to me that this isn't just another one of your whims, that you know precisely what you're giving up here."

"Fine. Anything."

"I want you to live a day as a human. This day. No vampire privileges—no strength, no compulsion, no nothing. If you succeed, if this is what you truly want, the cure is yours."

Rebekah looks surprised but ends up accepting the challenge.

———————————————————————————————————

"I'm not going to prom with you," Davina tells Rebekah as they walk down the street.

"Come on, D, I want someone to monitor me, make sure I don't screw this up. Plus, what would you even have planned for tonight?"

"I don't know, to eat ice cream and watch TV all by my lonesome," Davina shrugs, causing Rebekah to give her a look. "What? It's more fun than pretending to be a senior and going to prom."