➖chapter twenty-five➖

"Um, so...are we just going to continue trailing Damon and Elena inconspicuously, all the way to New York," Davina asks skeptically.

"Yes, well, Damon's still on the hunt for the cure, so we are going to follow until we get the information to find it," Rebekah informs her.

"I'm bored," Davina complains.

"You won't be for long."

"I'm hungry."

"Unfortunately, I didn't bring any food for you to munch on," Rebekah sighs.

"What? At least Kol had an apple for emergencies," Davina points out.

"You hate apples."

"I know, but it's the thought that counts, Rebekah," Davina replies in a sing-song voice.

———————————————————————————————————

"So...we watched them eat a couple people, Elena got a new 'do, and now we're stalking them from outside a bar," Davina remarks with a raised eyebrow. "Care to share your grand idea?"

"Heh, screw the bloody plan. We're going in," Rebekah exclaims and the two of them go into the bar. Davina watches in amusement as she suddenly slams Damon's head on the table. "Following a lead without me? Poor form, Damon." Elena looks confused, causing Rebekah to smile. "I have to say, I'm a little hurt. I thought we made a good team. Not without its fireworks, but what classic pairing isn't? Shame you've been replaced with an upgrade now."

"Wait," Elena butts in. She looks at Damon suspiciously before turning to Rebekah. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Damon's following a lead to the cure. Davina and I are following him. Notice how your name never came up."

Elena stares at Damon in surprise. "You're doing what?"

Damon glares at Rebekah before quickly hiding it. "How does it feel to be wrong all of the time? I brought Elena here to feed. I mean, Mystic Falls isn't exactly Vamp Xanadu right now," he says with forced nonchalance.

"Right, so you just drove seven hours to New York City," Davina comments, not believing a word coming out of his mouth. She takes a seat across from the two, intrigued to where this would go.

"Yes, and as I was saying to Elena before we were so rudely interrupted, my history in this city has a particular resonance to her current situation—when I had my humanity off," Damon explains.

"Should be interesting," Davina smirks and rests her head on her fist.

———————————————————————————————————

After hearing Damon's story with Lexi, Rebekah can't help but chuckle. "Well, she sounds utterly dreadful."

"She had a Mother Teresa complex," Damon remarks.

"So, let me guess. After many dark nights with Lexi, she convinced you to turn your emotions back on, and that's exactly what you plan to do to me. Hmm."

Davina rolls her eyes, merely because of Elena's presence. "Maybe this isn't about you." Unfortunately, it was. "Maybe Damon just came here to have a good time, and you tagged along as his sidekick."

"Should we see who the better 'sidekick' is, then?" Elena smirks at her, causing Davina to let out a short burst of laughter.

"As if last night didn't prove enough."

"Enough of the provoking banter," Damon chastises. "I need a drink. Many drinks." He gets up and heads towards the bar.

"Okay, shall I act as the buffer here," Rebekah muses.