➖chapter eight➖

This is a long one...

———————————————————————————————————

Davina swats someone away as they continuously poke her on the arm. "Would you stop?"

"Sorry, love, but I'm forcing you to attend the dance," Klaus tells her and plucks the pillow from under her head. "Rebekah's nowhere in sight, and so I'm going to assume she's already there."

"And you need me to come...why?"

"For moral support, of course. Rebekah may have hinted that Caroline could be there," Klaus smirks. Davina cracks an eye open and stares at him wondrously.

"You fancy Caroline, huh? Weird." Davina sits up and stretches her arms. "I don't know if you can tell, but I'm not dressed for the dance."

"Whatever you have on now will be fine."

She narrows her eyes at Klaus and points to her shirt. "An oversized shirt and jeans aren't 1920s appropriate."

"Yes, well, then you can stand outside in the corner, but you're coming, no less." Klaus pulls a protesting Davina by the hand and they leave the house.

———————————————————————————————————

"You didn't even give me enough time to put on shoes," Davina exclaims as they arrive at the school entrance. People keep giving her weird looks, making Davina self-consciously cross her arms. "And I look stupid in this attire."

"Nonsense. Now, are you going to come in or stand out here all night?"

"Sitting outside seems like the better option," she replies and plops herself down on a step.

"Suit yourself," Klaus shrugs and heads inside.

Davina rubs her arms due to the chilly weather. She picks up a stick and begins to draw patterns in the dirt. All of a sudden, Jeremy bursts out of the school and Elena follows, not too far behind.

"Jer, stop..."

"This is Alaric we're talking about! He looked out for us, and now, we need to do the same," Jeremy states.

"No one's going to hurt him," Elena assures him and then sees Davina. "Davina? What are you doing here?"

"Good question," she mutters and shakes her head. "I'm freezing and barefoot." She then notices the two of them look distressed. "What's with the glum faces?"

"Alaric isn't Alaric," Jeremy explains and begins to walk away again. Elena halts him by grabbing his arm.

"Hey, look at me. No one will hurt him, Jeremy."

"Wait, what happened to Ric? ...Did he not take his assigned herbs?" When Elena nods her head, Davina sighs with distaste. "His alter ego is out of control, isn't it?"

"Very much so." Before Elena can say anything else, someone calls out her name.

"Elena."

The two girls turn around in surprise at the voice. Davina recognizes Esther as she stands in front of the three of them. "Oh, my god."

"And Davina. What a lovely surprise. I saw you earlier, actually," Esther tells her.

"What do you mean?" Davina looks at her warily and then glances at Jeremy, who gets the memo and rushes back inside the school.

"You didn't recognize me, as I was in Rebekah's body." As Davina stares at Esther in shock, she turns to Elena. "If you wish to help your friend, Alaric, I suggest you come with me now," Esther commands.