Chapter 8

"Andre! You're gonna be late!" Cookie called out handing Jamal his lunch.

He placed it in his backpack then finished tying his shoes. Andre came barreling down the stairs shirt half on pulling up his pants. Cookie couldnt help, but to laugh. He buckled his pants up, then fixed his shirt. Jamal helped him tie one of his shoes while he did the other one.

"Here, and I better hear y'all made it on time. Or y'all will be getting dropped off at school." Cookie spoke handing Dre his lunch.

He nodded putting it in his backpack. He followed after Jamal giving his mother a kiss on the cheek. They exited the house breathing in that fall air. They could see other kids in the neighborhood walking to school. They joined the heard talking to some of their friends while they walked the two blocks to pick up Natalie then two more blocks to school. The normally met Adel at school.

"Hey Nat." Jamal called out. She hugged her mom then ran down the stairs to meet up with them. Unique smiled and waved at the boys.

"Look what my daddy bought me!" She cheered showing them her new necklace.

It was a necklace that had to hold unicorns and a pretty pink stone in the middle.

"Its nice, but what did Uncle Vernon tell you about it?" Andre questioned knowing damn well Vernon said leave it at home

"Nothing." She responded.

Be hummed knowing she was lying. Philly kids were in some ways worst then Philly adults. Hell they've watched kids get hemmed up over a sandwich. It was like a little penitentiary. This was Jamals first grade year, and Andres fourth grade year.

Jamal gave Natalie a hug before dashing off to his teacher. Natalie was a shy kid so she didnt have very many friends. She really kept tp herself which is why the boys walked her to and from school.

Aside from Jamal she had one other good friend who was in her class. Those two were really the only kids she talked to. Most often then not you would find her in an area secluded from other kids reading, or coloring. So when the lunch bell rung and Jamal found her crying be already knew something was up.

"Nat what's wrong?" He questioned sitting next to her. He frowned when she didn't say anything.

"Did you forget your color pencils again? It's ok you can use mine." He spoke.

She shook her head. His frown deepened, sitting over forwards he pulled her in for a hug like his mom did him to make him feel better. He rubbed her back whispering that everything was ok. It always worked for him. He figured he'd give it a try.

"M..my necklace." She cried. Jamal pulled back and looked around her neck. Sure enough it was gone.

"What happened?" He questioned wiping her tears like his mom did him.