Chapter 15: Birthday Dinner

«umm excuse me sir? can we not?»

Park Jieun's POV

"So," My mom began, slicing into her steak. "How has school been?"

"Did you know that your daughter is number one?" Jaemin pointed at me. I slapped his arm and looked down at my lap.

"No," My dad said, taking a sip from his drink. "She hasn't told us."

"Yeah," Jaemin slung his arm on my shoulders. "She works really hard. Sometimes, she'll sleep in her uniform."

"Oh, sweetie." I looked up to see Jaemin's mom looking at me with concern. "That's not healthy. You need to be a change of clothes so that bacteria don't transfer."

"It's fine." I told her. "I haven't gotten sick."

"And if she did, I would have to get sick." Jaemin said, giving me a peck on the cheek. My insides started to twist and my face was beginning to blush.

"Aww!" Jaemin's mom and my mom fangirled. "Look how cute they are."

"Can't we just eat?" My dad complained. "You guys have been hounding the kids with questions that my mash potatoes went cold."

"I have to agree with Woojin." Jaemin's dad answered. "You girls can fangirl all you want later. The food's about to get cold."

"You two never really did change." My mom sighed. "Aright, let's eat."

"Thank you for the meal!" We all said together before we each dug in to our meals. I had ordered an alfredo pasta while Jaemin ordered the seafood platter which consisted of shrimp, oyster, and a few crab legs. We ate in silence before Jaemin's mom spoke up.

"So, how is Jaemin at school?" His mom asked me while I shoving a piece of pasta in my mouth. I coughed slightly at the abrupt question and drank some water from my glass. Afterwards, I quickly swallowed and wiped my mouth.

"Sorry about that."

"It's ok." She smiled at me.

"About Jaemin at school," I began. "He's number two in the school. He's a really good student who has really good grades. He's even helped me on my work."

"You have to be lying." Jaemin's dad said. "Everytime I visited him before this, he would always complain by saying 'Dad! I don't want to do my homework! Can't I skip school?'" He mocked Jaemin's voice in a higher pitch.

"Dad!" Jaemin whined. "I never said that nor did my voice sound that high!"

"Are you kidding me?" Jaemin's dad laughed. "Your voice was the highest voice I have ever heard from a guy."

"Has heard Donghyuck's voice?" I asked Jaemin. "Or Chenle's laugh?"

"No." Jaemin laughed.

"Whose?" Jaemin's dad asked.

"Two friends of ours: Donghyuck and Chenle." I told him. "One has a really high-pitched voice and the other has a laugh like a dolphin. But they're both amazing singers."

"I would like to meet this Donghyuck and Chenle." Jaemin's dad said.

"Are they guys?" My dad asked. I nodded. "Why are you hanging out with them?"

"Why am I married?" I countered. He stared at me for a while.

"Well, you're supposed to hang out with Jaemin, but wouldn't he get jealous with you hanging out with other guys?" My mom tried to help out my dad.

"They're my friends." Jaemin spoke up. "I trust them."

"It's not like I only hang around girls." I told them. "One guy I hang out with has a girlfriend, the other one is gay last I checked."

"You hang out with two other guys?!" My dad asked, trying to calmly place down his fork and knife.

"Yeah," Jaemin tried to save me. "But—"

"I want to hear Jieun's side." My dad looked at me.

"I told you, one has a girlfriend and one is pretty much gay." I told him. "And Jaemin hangs out with them too."

"Are you sure?" My dad eyed me.

"Yes!" I exasperated. "Do you want to check out our text messages?"

"Yes, I would like to." My dad held out his hand for my phone. I grabbed my phone out of my purse and unlocked it. I opened the text messaging app and handed it to him. We were in an awkward silence as he read through my messages. "What is wrong with your grammar?"

"It's the text messaging language." I told him. "There's no grammar whatsoever. You have to use shortcuts to get your point across."

"Honey, we used to text like this." My mom said. "Don't you remember?"

"No." My dad said, still looking through my messages. "Did you guys tell your friends that—oh, never mind."

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing." He handed me my phone. I looked at it briefly and noticed that he was on the group chat. I also noticed that a new group chat appeared in my text messages. I turned off my phone and made a mental note to check it out later.

"So, what clubs are you in?" Jaemin's mom asked me.

"I'm not really participating in many clubs." I admitted. "Most of the time I just tried to get home on time."

"Has Jaemin walked you home?" Jaemin's mom asked.

"Many times." I told her. "There are moments when he can't because of dance."

"Jaemin's in dance?" My mom asked.

"And speed skating and badminton." I told her.

"I recently quit speed skating since it interfered with dance." Jaemin said.

"But aren't his practices in the afternoon?" Jaemin's mom asked.

"Well, since he's a part of the varsity team, they tend to have practice in the morning. This is why we never get to school together because his practice is too early for me." I admitted.

"Then wake up earlier." My mom said, putting a piece of steak into her mouth.

"It's not that simple." Jaemin spoke up. "She usually gets to bed later than me."

"Doing what?" My dad asked.

"Homework." I answered. "Many teachers like to assign projects at the same time while giving out tests."

"Really, now?" My dad sat back in his chair, pondering my statement. "Back in my day—"

"There weren't that many projects." My mom interrupted. "Yes, we know Woojin. I lived through it with you."

"Anyway," Jaemin's mom turned the attention back on us. "Have you two been able to work on a few projects together?"

"Recently," I answered her. "We had a presentation project to work on together."

"How did you guys do?" She asked.

"We don't know." Jaemin answered. "Our teacher still has to put in the grades."

"I see." Jaemin's mom nodded before taking a bite out of her salad. The rest of the dinner remained like this: one of our moms would ask us a question then we would eat in silence.

sorry i wont be updating as much cuz this week is like the week where camps and prep days are happening for my school (it starts in 2 weeks for me 😒😬)