Chapter Two

Xavier

"Dude, you look like shit." Mark tells me first thing the next morning. I shoot him a look, slumping down in my chair. He finishes his conversation with some blonde who spends too much time in the tanning booth and takes a seat next to me.

He drums his fingers on the desk, "But seriously, you look like you've seen some shit."

"I don't want to talk about it." I hiss as the teacher struts into the classroom. She's beautiful and exotic, which gets the attention of most of the guys in the class.

Except for me, my eyes snap to the girl who walks in behind the teacher. Macaria. Her presence brings on goosebumps. Today she's wearing a pair of ripped jeans with a blood red over sized t-shirt tucked into the waistband. Her curly hair is straightened and flows like silk down her chest. She smiles at the teacher, who shakes her head.

"If you didn't let those boys slow you up, you'd be to class on time, Macaria."

Macaria only smiles a little wider, though I don't miss how it doesn't touch her eyes. "Sorry, Mrs. Rhodes. Won't happen again." Macaria drops down into the seat behind me, making my whole body buzz.

Mark nudges me and waggles his eyebrows, causing me to roll my tired eyes and turn away from him. He only chuckles at my expense. With that nightmare last night and Macaria within such close proximity, it was hard to focus on anything Mrs. Rhodes was saying. Even my notes suffered, though at my old school I've sure I've learned this before.

"Hey," A small voice comes from behind me. It barely registers in my brain that someone is talking to me. "Hey, it's Xavier right?"

Then Macaria taps my shoulder, causing the whole area to burn as if she'd lit me on fire. I jerk away from her touch, grabbing my shoulder. Her face distorts, first in confusion then in anger.

Hurriedly, I mutter out words, "I'm sorry, you just startled me. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night." I try to give her an apologetic smile, but I'm sure it comes out as a grimace due to the wildfire on my shoulder.

She brushes a stray strand of hair out of her eyes and laughs lightly, "That's understandable," She sets her notebook down beside me at the small two person table. I look around to see everyome has paired up in class, while the assignment is written on the board.

Mark sits with the same blonde he was talking to earlier and gives me a wink when he catches my eye.

"So it is Xavier?" Macaria raises a sculpted eyebrow. I nod, moving my arm and pencils so she has more room. "I'm Macaria," she tells me, "Are you liking the school so far?"

"Yeah, it's alright." Wow, how lame of an excuse.

"Are you any good at this type of thing?" She asks, motioning to the board. I notice a ring, situated on the middle finger of her right hand. It's a bulky looking ring, with an almost dime sized ruby in the middle.

"Define good," I smile, flipped my notebook over to a clean page. She laughs, pulling her notes out.

Macaria and I work on the assignment the rest of the class. Every once in a while, she would be working on a problem and I would just get lost in her beauty. What I feel for her is unreal. I only just met her, really. But there's something about her. It puts me on edge, but also comforts me at the same time.

But she is interacting with me as if she's walking on eggshells. She's sat as far away from me as she possibly can. Her body is rigid and anger lingers in her black eyes, almost making me wonder if she's mad at me for jerking away from her.

When the bell rings, my heart sinks. We were in the middle of discussing our favorite songs. She smiles sadly, "I'll see you around, Xavier."

"See you," I mumble, but she's already halfway out the door before I muster up the words. Mark saunters over to me, with wide eyes.

"Xavier, I don't know what it is with you, but she's totally into you." There's a hint of bitterness in his voice, but it's so distant, I decide to brush it off.

Shoving my books into my bag, I respond, "Yeah right, she was practically a statue next to me the whole time."

"The girl doesn't talk to guys outside of those three jugheads she- They are right behind me after they?" Mark gulps, looking at me with panic in his eyes. The guys, who hang around Macaria, stand behind Mark with anger twisting their features.

"Hhey, look I did-" The guy who got on me yesterday, whose name I think is Roman, grabs Mark by the collar of his jacket. Mrs. Rhodes scolds him, threatening to call security, but he doesn't even blink an eye before lands a punch to Mark's face.

"Hey! Man it isn't that serious," I shove Roman, my palms immediately blanketed with a white hot burn. Much like the one Macaria have me. I wince, but don't have time before an all out brawl starts.

The two other guys who roll with Macaria tackle me, their shoulders ramming me into the desk I just vacated. All three of us flip over the desk, wrestling. My body body burns where they touch, but keeping them from pummeling me to the ground is a more pressing matter. I catch brief glimpses of Mark and Roman landing punches on each other as the two guys fighting me take turns destroying my mid-section.

"Stop!" A high pitched scream echoes throughout the classroom. But nothing stops, though the two guys I'm fighting, pause and look over at Roman. When he doesn't stop they resume, only to find that I've wiggled my way under a desk and have made it to my feet again.

"I said, stop!" A female's voice echoes through the chaos of punches, grunts and desks being moved across the floor. Then everything freezes.

A/N
Don't forget to vote and comment :))