Chapter Three

Xavier

Everything stops, Mrs. Rhodes who was running out of the room freezes mid-step. Mark who was in the process of spitting blood completely stops moving, leaving his bloody apit suspended in air. Roman and the two other guys don't even blink an eye. And standing in the middle of it all is Macaria herself, with tears streaming down her face.

My heart rate picks up and my head spins, "What the hell is going on?" I choke out, panicked.

She crosses the room in short strides and flings herself at me. On instinct, I open my arms to catch her. Except the moment she makes contact with me, my body is ignited in what feels like invisible flames.

"Ah!" I exclaims, grabbing her shoulders. I hold her at arms length and let go, flinching. She frowns, peering up at my face.

"Damn, those idiots." She reaches gor my face, but withdraws her hand as if remembering.

I haven't been this confused since I tried to learn how to play piano. So many different keys and octives. Now things seemed to have stopped. With a quick glance at the clock on the wall, I find that the time hasn't changed since the bell rang. And no one has so much as inhaled the tiniest bit since Macaria screamed.

"What... What... What's wrong with them?" I ask, crossing the room to Mark. I wave a hand on front of his face.

"I don't have enough time to explain. I just couldn't let them beat the shit out of you." Macaria responds, picking up my bag from the floor. Shw walks over and hands it to me, making sure to snatch her hand away before we have the option of touching. A pained expression comes across her face.

"Don't say anything about this, understood?" She brings her dark eyes up to mine, seriousness set in her face. I nod, looking back at Mark.

"What about him? And the fight?" I ask, jabbing my thumb back at Mark and Mrs. Rhodes.

"I'll take care of it, just go." She pleads. So I do, I leave the room, to find that the hallway is filled with frozen people.

Even someone in the middle of a sneeze. It's hard to process that time has stopped and Macaria did it. This is some freaking Sci-Fi type shit. A normal person can't just stop time. But if anyone were to be habouring a secret power, it would be Macaria. I've felt that type of vibe from her ever since I laid eyes on her yesterday.

I had so many questions and I was so confused. Even as I duck and dodge frozen people, my brain is trying to wrap around what just happened. The fight happened, then weird shit started happening. It still is happening and I have no explanation for how this is even possible.

I glance at my reflection in the glass of a classroom and find that I have blood running down the side of my face. My feet carry me into a restroom, where I lean on the sink and try to make sense of what is happening while my hands fiddle with the water. After wetting a paper towel, I go about using the mirror to clean the cut from last night that must have gotten reopened when those guys were attacking me.

I'm going crazy already. That's the only excuse for these events. Ever since I moved here last week shit has been happening, first the school mysteriously lost my paper work, then they tried to tell me they had no idea I was even transferring. Our house got vandalised and our toaster exploded a few days ago, nearly burning the whole house down. Not to mention my nightmare last night and now this.

As I'm washing my face I get a sick feeling in my stomach as of I'm being watched. Then I see it. The same demon that visited me last night is in the corner of the bathroom, clinging to the ceiling and looking at me with it's head flipped completely upside down. It's got an evil looking smile etched into it's face with dried blood and stares at me with the one eye that's in it's socket. The other dangles from it's face, swaying slightly as the demon thing pants.

I back myself against the wall, inching toward the door. Then it pounces on me, knocking me off my feet. My head slams into the tiled floor, sending shock waves of pain through my skull, even into my teeth. I gasp for air because as the creature sits on top of me it comes harder to breath.

"You stupid boy." The creature speaks, but it's mouth doesn't move. It more so echoes in my head. "Stay away from Macaria."

My jaw sets, it seems like everyone except Mark wants me to stay away from her. "Why should I?"

The demon laughs, it's high pitched nails on chalkboard laugh rings in my ears. "He'll kill you if you don't."

I can't believe I'm actually having this conversation. I used to be a normal person, I'd go to school and go home. There were no demons or frozen time. Everything was fine, I was popular, I had friends and a good girl.

I've been here for two weeks and my life has gone to hell. I knew when my mom told me we were moving that it was a bad idea. But I didn't think it would be this much of a bad idea. This kind of stuff is supposed to be happening in movies. Not in real life. Not in my life, that's for sure. I'm not the type of person that this thing happens to. But here it is, happening to me. I'm positive that I've lost my mind, how exactly, I'm not sure. But there's definitely some screws lose in my mind for me to be seeing a fucking demon and for me to think time has actually stopped.

"Who?" I question, hoping for some sort of answer, maybe to help the confusion. Or to prove my insanity.

"The devil himself."

A/N
Don't forget to vote and comment :)))