Chapter Twenty

Xavier

Agmoth leads me into a small opening, where he pushes me through a portal. When I stumble into the room, a bedroom to be specific, I'm greeted by Dai and his six siblings. Along with Mark, who smiles at me. I narrow my eyes back at him, wondering what he's doing here.

"I sold my soul to the devil for a Twizzler." He tells me, rubbing the back of his neck. I sputter, trying to hold in a laugh. In a time like this, when I could very well die, I shouldn't laugh. But I do.

"True story. He was six years old." Agmoth adds, walking past me. An assorted group of demons appears when he enters the room. I shake my head at Mark and turn to Agmoth.

"What's going on?"

He shrugs, "Hell if I know. All I know is Chaos is trying to take over. And we have to fight her."

"If you don't know, how do you know that?" The child demon, named Cassius questions Agmoth, who smacks him in the head. He chuckles.

"Chaos?" I raise an eyebrow. Agmoth shrugs, turning to Dai. "You need to get Lucifer and Emiline out of that coma while we battle."

Dai nods, breaking from the group to go to the two bodies laying on a double bed behind the group of demons. A scream cuts through the instructions Agmoth is barking out. The scream chills me to the bone and makes my heart beat at an unhealthy rate. I can tell it's Macaria, and so can everyone else. Mark puts a hand on my shoulder, keeping me from running in the direction of Macaria's pained screaming.

¥

When we reach the throne room, Agmoth smashes the portal to keep the rest of Chaos' creatures out. Chaos, a blonde girl with a striking resemblance to Macaria, pauses. She is hovering over Macaria, a hand outstretched in a claw. As she closes her fist, Macaria withers and screams.

Hearing her screams is one thing. Seeing the person who is doing it to her brings on a different type of rage. Chaos chuckles, ordering her minions to attack us. She specifically orders them to kill me. But I am hardly paying attention. A beefy Cyclops is running for me, blocking my tunnel vision. The way Macaria's face is contorted with pain remains a fresh image in my head as I effortlessly side step the Cyclops.

Moving quickly, I spin around and thrust the blade Agmoth have me into the back of the one eyed monster. He grunts in pain, reaching back with his sausage like fingers to grab me. I dodge his grip and yank the blade out of his back. The wound begins turning black, spreading out like cracks in glass. The Cyclops stops moving, falling forward.

With a quick glance around I see Agmoth ripped the head off of another demon. The six children, have morfied into hideous creatures, slashing and killing off demons. Mark struggles with another Cyclops. Remembering the fight he picked with Roman, I shout for him to watch out and fling the blade into the Cyclops' shoulder, narrowly missing Mark himself.

"We meet again." The guy who broke my nose earlier appears in front of me. He swings, I duck, feeling the breeze of his punch next to my face. I land a hit to his stomach.

The longer I take to win this fight, the longer Chaos has to torture Macaria. The desperation to get to her makes me fight even harder against this guy. I barely even feel the hits he lands. The image of Macaria's pained face pops into my mind, paired with her exhausted screaming. The last punch I land on the guy, knocks him unconscious.

Then I look up at Chaos, holding the only woman I've ever loved outside of my mother, by her throat and something inside me snaps. Be proud to be Native, my father's words echo in my head. You are strong, he tells me, appearing in front of me.

You will overcome. He touches my chest, disappearing. My limbs feel heavy and my mind lags as the fight continues around me. My vision blurs and my breath catches in my throat.

My father never told me much about my ancestors. He would tell me they were very powerful beings to which we owed our existence to. He prayed to them every night before he went to sleep. Asking them to watch over his family and other in need. He never once asked for himself. But he always told me that if he ever needed them, for strength or comfort, they would be there without him asking. And I guess that's what happened now.

My ancestors have given me the strength I need to defeat Chaos. And that's exactly what I do. I eyes zero in on her and suddenly I'm there, in front of her, batting her out of the air. She slams into the ground, dropping Macaria.

Chaos holds a hand up to me and curls her fingers. Probably trying to do to me what she was doing to Macaria. But nothing happens and I approach her. Her face is one of confusion and fear.

"No! No! No!" She screams, scrambling to her feet, "This isn't supposed to happen! How the hell did you-"

I grab her by the neck, lifting her off her feet as if she weighed nothing, because she does. I visually see myself slowly squeezing until she can't breathe anymore. Until her face turns blue and her eyes roll back into her head. That's what I want to do. But that's not who I am, so I glance behind me, to find the demons who helped me watching with hunger in their eyes. I toss her to them, done with her begging.

"The only reason I show you mercy is because I know they won't." I growl at her, turning to find Macaria laying motionless at the base of her father's throne.