Chapter Nine

Xavier

Mom smiles at me, looking me from head to toe. She fixes my collar and pats my shoulder, craddling a glass of wine in one hand.

"Get going, don't want to be late." She says, plopping down on the couch. A cheesy romance plays on the TV. I kiss the top of her head before grabbing my keys and leaving.

My mom hasn't been with anyone in almsot six years. Sometimes I think she's lonely, but I think most of the time she just misses Dad. I miss him too, but he would want her to be happy. No matter what. She's gotten dates before, she just always backed out of them.

Maybe she thinks that of she dates anyone else it will be disrespecting Dad. And I could see that point of view. But I think she fails to realize that Dad wouldn't want her to hold back just for him. He always wanted the best for her, no matter what it meant to him. He treated her like a Queen, he damn near kissed the ground she walked on. They were so madly in love, it was almsot sickening to be around them.

Now I know I'd do anything to see them together again.

When I pull up to the address Macaria gave me, it doesn't surprise me that she lives in a lavish mansion. It's hiddened behind dozens of trees and the style of the home is gothic looking. Definitely seems like a place the Devil would own. If anyone heard me they'd think I were crazy.

I'm about to go on a date with the Devil's daughter. I am crazy.

Smooth asphalt leads up to the house, having run into the gravel road used to get to the house. I park in front of the house in the circle drive. I almost didn't want to go to the door. But Dad was always big on manners and would roll over in his gravel if I didn't go up to the door and walk Macaria to the car.

Before I even knock the door flies open. One of the guys I fought last week stands in front of me. He scowls when he sees that it's me, probably remembering our little round of punches.

"Roman! That maggot Macaria is going out with is here." He calls over his shoulder before locking eyes with me. He blinks and when his eyes open again, the iris is translucent, reminding me of a reptile.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" I raise an eyebrow, peering around him as Roman jogs down the stairs, a nasty look on his face.

"Enough, Hunt." Roman says, stepping in Hunt's place and he backs away. Roman crosses his beefy arms, looking down on me with the same scowl Hunt was.

"You will never be good enough for Macaria." He tells me, his syrup colored brown eyes narrowing. He squares his shoulders, making our size differences noticeable.

He's got muscle on me and an inch or two. I'm not weak either so if he thinks his size can intimidate me, he's got it twisted.

"Are you trying to tell me that you're any better?" I tilt my head to the side, looking him up and down, pretending to care enough to size him up.

He smirks, chuckling at me, "If the shoe fits."

Before I get a chance to tell him it's Macaria's decision, she appears. Her hair is in soft waves. She wears a white, long sleeved blouse with a plunging V neckline. She paired this with ripped skinny jeans and a nude boot. My heart flutters a little.

"Ready to go, Xavier?" She asks, sliding past Roman. I nod, wrapping my arm around her waist. Roman looks as if he's about to blow a fuse.

As we walk away, I wave goodbye to him, calling without looking back, "Good to see you're brushing up on your sins, Roman. You're looking a little green."

Macaria bursts out laughing, while Roman responds only by slamming the door. I open the door to the passenger side and Macaria slides in, shaking her head. Amusement plays in her eyes.

Onve I've got situated in the driver's side and have started the car, Macaria teasingly says with a grin, "You're just a little devil, aren't you?"

¥

The party is in full swing when we get there. I keep Macaria close, as we weave through the crowds of people to find Mark. I know she could handle herself, but that doesn't mean I won't get blamed if something happens to her. And I kind of like the idea of protecting her, after all it is her first party.

We find our way through Mark's medium sized house, passing endless red solo cups stacked on any surface they fit. Some people stop us, greeting both Macaria and I work slurred words over the pounding music. People have become increasingly more friendly around Macaria now that the three guys that followed her are no longer around. She said they were basically henchmen for her father, there to practically babysit her.

I glance down to see her looking around. Her eyes are wide and filled with awe. What could be going through her pretty little head? Has she really never experienced parties? I wonder if they have parties in Hell.

"They do," Macaria shouts over the music. I lead her into the basement, passing a couple with their tongues down each other's throats. Macaria mutters something about them not needing any help in the lust department. And I'm pretty sure she mutters the word, 'Sinners'. I chuckle at the irony.

"Huh?" I furrow my brows, guiding us past a group of girls grinding on each other. Macaria gives them a funny look.

She takes my hand, lacing our fingers. Instead of a burning sensation, her touch sends electric waves throughout my body. It makes my nerves buzz.

"They have parties in Hell," She bats away someone's drink offer. "It just... Consists of a lot of torture."

"Kinky."

She laughs.

Follow me on Instagram to keep up with all my stories @ shewhopaintss