Chapter Six

Xavier

Later that day, I go home and find Macaria sitting on my steps. She looks up when I pull into the drive, the playfully smirk she held under the stairs long gone. She stands when I approach, but doesn't say anything. I pause in front of her, taking in the fact that she's at my house. Without me giving an address or anything. Not even Mark knows where I live. 

I almost question her, but decide against it and brush past her to unlock the door. "Would you like something to drink?" I ask, pushing the door open and ushering her in. She walks forward and looks around when she gets in. 

"You've been seeing a demon." Macaria states, turning to face me once I've made it into the house. My heart leaps, someone knows about him. Or at least has taken a really lucky guess. 

"Maybe," I tell her, moving around my medium sized living room to make my way to the kitchen in search of snacks. 

"I'm being serious. What does it look like?" She asks, following me around. Sighing, I tell her about the demon who has been tormenting me for the last week. It can't come into my room, but I think it prowls outside my room at night, which I tell her. 

"Dammit," She mumbles. 

"It told me to stay away from you and if I didn't the Devil himself would kill me."

"Well, you must have a death wish." She responds, kicking the floor with her booted foot. I bite into my peanut butter and jelly sandwich as she continues to stare at the floor, mumbling low enough that I can't make out what she's saying. 

"Let me just point out that you came to my house." I take another bite while she chuckles, looking up at me, capturing me in a velvety black gaze. 

She runs a hand through her hair, sighing, "If I told you the truth you wouldn't believe me." 

"I've been through it, try me." 

"My father is Lucifer." 

As the words leave her mouth, the house trembles. She looks around unfazed, with anger set in her eyes. But her father is Lucifer? I'm definitely insane. That is the only reasonable explanation for this. Not only have I been seeing things, but now I've completely made up someone. Whose father seems to be Lucifer? Yeah right, and the house shaking right now is also in my head. So I'm going to finish my sandwich, maybe watch a little TV and when my mom gets home, I'm checking into a mental institution. 

It's better for society this way. 

"Xavier, run." Macaria tells me as the house shakes violently. She looks panicked and I return her words with a confused 'what?'. She opens her mouth to respond, but is cut off as the house is plunged into darkness. She mumbles a string of curses as the house stops shaking.

"I hope you're ready for this." Macaria mumbles, but it sounds more like she's talking to herself than she is me. I notice a sudden change in temperature, the house plunging into a winter like cold.

"Ready for what?" I question, slowly waving my hands through the dark. By the scuffing of my shoes on what seems to be gravel flooring, I realize I'm not longer at home. Which explains the cold. Whatever kind of special effect is going on, it's a damn good magic trick. Macaria grabs my hand, right as I trip on a rock.

"You can't see?" She asked, amusement playing in her voice.

"Of course not. Macaria, this isn't funny. Stop playing tricks." I frown, pulling my burning hand from hers. Through the burn, I can't help to think about how perfectly our hands fit together. 

I can practically feel her glare through the dark, "I'm not playing tricks. This is real, you're about to met Lucifer." Then she mumbles, "and hopefully you walk out of this alive."

"Wait what?" I ask, turn to where I thought she was. Then the lights turn on, Macaria is about a yard away from me.

Standing next to her was a tall man. He wasn't short or red, in fact he had the same honey colored skin as Macaria. His face was chiseled and his jaw was sharp, covered in a five o'clock shadow. He dressed in black slacks and a black button up with the sleeves rolled up. He is lean and screams power. The mere presence of him makes my blood run cold.

I've never believe things like this could happen. I have always thought heaven and hell weren't real. To be standing in front of the Devil himself, was the most shocking part. I always thought I'd end up in heaven. But it seems that I don't even have to die to meet Lucifer.

His golden eyes bore into me, as if he's looking straight into my soul. Macaria's eyes flicker in between the two of us. The air is thick with tension, the temperature falling as a rapid pace. While my breath is visible, theirs isn't.

"I thought I told you to stay away from her." The man, who must be Lucifer, speaks. His voice is cold and void of emotion. I purse my lips, wondering if I should point out the fact that she didn't leave me alone. Instead, I grit my teeth and bare his glare, trying not to shiver from the cold.

"You stupid mortal." Lucifer spits, flicking his wrist. Suddenly I'm air bourne, flying across the room until I slam into a stone wall.

Macaria yelps, turning to her father as I hit the floor with a thub and slump over. "Why would you do that?" She yells. Black creeps into the edges of my vision, but I see her take a step towards me only to be stopped by her father.

"I will not lose another daughter." His voice echoes, booming in the stone room we are in.

It's the last thing I hear before everything fades to black.