Chapter Sixteen

Macaria

I never though I'd love. My father made it very clear to my mother when they met he'd never love her. Sometimes I question if he's capable, or if he just pretends. Sometimes I forget that I'm only half of him. My heart is big, much like my mother's, but it is guarded like my father's. It scares me how much I feel for Xavier. And how happy he makes me.

I look at him and my heart swells. The devil in me cringes every time we kiss. The angel falls head over heels when he looks at me and sometimes I forget that I'm more than them. But there's something brewing, I can sense it. While the Fates' words hang over my head. The time is coming. They vaguely warned, giving me nothing else to go off of.

"Roman, please stop," I snap at Roman who has been complaining about how Xavier isn't right for me. I can tell Roman has grown all too fond of me. Sometimes I think he forgets I read minds and sense emotion.

"He's going to fail." Roman grumbles.

"Then let him fail. But it has to be him." I respond, hoping Xavier doesn't fail. I have faith in him, but the battle to come is to be fought with entities much more powerful than he is.

"We only wants to keep you safe, Mac." Damian says, reaching across the table to pat my hand. I give him a tight smile.

"And I appreciate it. I think of you all as my brothers, and I care about you guys. But I need you to have a little faith in my relationship."

Roman stiffens with emphasis on 'all'. Hunt and Damian nod, turning back to their plates. Roman just gets up and leaves. All this time, I've felt for her and she chooses some mortal over me. I scowl, wishing I hasn't heard that. I sigh, pushing my food around on my plate.

"He'll get over it," Hunt reassures me. I give him a weak smile.

"I hope so."

"You remind him of Ophelia," Damian mutters, stuffing his face with noodles. I raise an eyebrow at Hunt. He smiles sadly.

"She's the one Roman sold his soul for. She was terminally ill and dying, Roman couldn't handle it. Your father made him an offer, her soul for his." Hunt informs me, keeping his voice low. Every once and a while he glances towards the stairs. "He took it, but Lucifer didn't promise to keep her alive."

My heart sinks. Disgust with my father fills me. I've always known he's sly and cunning. A trickster. But very rare that I hear tell of it. Was that what I would become if I took the throne? As much as I wanted to say I'd be different; I couldn't. Because much like my father I enjoyed the pain and suffering of others.

"Don't feel bad, Mac." Damian pulls me into a one armed hug. "Roman has survived hundreds of years. He can handle it."

"Doesn't make it right." I mumble into his shoulder, hugging him back. He just sighs at my comment, releasing our hug. He picks up the dinner plates.

Hunt pats my shoulder, "We're all here in hell for a reason, boo-bear." He uses his old nickname for me, which lightens my mood slightly.

"We're not in Hell," I point out.

"Is that so?"

¥

Xavier runs his hands through his hair in frustration, "You're literally the most annoying person I know."

All I do is grin. I've been pestering him all day, just to annoy him. He removes my hand from his lap, biting his lip. He shoots me a glare. I send a smirk back, happily swinging my feet from our lab stools. Xavier grabs my leg to still my movements.

"Why are you so hyper?" He whispers, narrowing his eyes. I send him a wink, only furthering his irritation with me. "I swear, Macaria... You just a devil in disguise."

"Mr. Poston, Miss. Cifer, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Our teacher, a pudgy old man who thinks about nothing, but his misery, calls out to us. Xavier's attention snaps to the front of the room.

A slight blush creeps onto his neck as the rest of the class turns to look at us. "Not really, Mr. Price, just telling Xavier how fancy your new suspenders are." I flash him a sickly sweet smile, batting my lashes. He sputters, his cheeks turning a rosy color. Making him look a lot like Santa.

"Well, try to talk about it after you finish your assignment." He tells us, turning back to continue his instructions. The classroom snickers die off slowly, returning to the silence it was before.

"Pure evil, just pure evil." Xavier murmurs under his breathe.

After class, Xavier drapes his arm over my shoulders, picking up both of our bags, carrying them on his other shoulder. We walk out of class, bickering about the answers we put down. I insist that we put the wrong answer down for number four, while he think we were right.

"Hey, Xavier!" A female voice cuts through our banter, causing both of us to turn and look at a bouncy, bubbly red headed chick.

She's one of the cheerleaders, dressed in her showy outfit, sticking her chest out to make it look bigger. She smiles at Xavier, giving me a once over. I scowl and Xavier's arm tightens around my shoulder.

"Hey..." Xavier trails off, trying to remember her name. Her smile falters a little.

"Jennifer." Typical name. "We're having a party this weekend, you should come."

Xavier blinks, stepping to the side so we no longer block the hallway, he shrugs our bags higher on his shoulder. "This weekend? I can't, I have plans with Macaria."

No we don't. Jennifer brushes it off, "She can come too... I guess." She sends me a disgusted look.

I stiffen at the added 'I guess'. She's acting far too catty for the situation. And I don't understand why she can't just take no for an amswer. Xavier sighs, "We'll see." He says to appease her.

"Great!" She steps forward to hug him and I throw an arm out, tilting my head with deadpanned look. She frowns, glaring at me. I raise an eyebrow, daring her to do or say something. Sensing the tension, Xavier pulls me away, turnimg us in the direction of the cafeteria.

"Jealous much?" Xavier teases as we take our seats at the table we share with Mark.

Huffing, I cross my arms. "No, just protecting what's mine."

A/N
Coming at you with my girl Macaria.