Chapter Eleven

Macaria

"He nearly beat the guy to death for me," I defend, pleading with my father as he paces back and forth in front of me.

"I don't care I knew he couldn't take care of you."

"But he did! Please just listen to me," I beg, panicked. Dad has already threatened to kill Xavier more in the last three minutes than I have ever heard him threaten a life.

Dad pinches the bridge of his nose, his syrup eyes flashing saffron indicating that he's engaged. "Do you have any idea who the guy was?"

"No," I shake my head, thinking back to last night when he attacked me from bwhind while I was getting a drink. My memory is blurred, but I remember how no one saw us. Even as he dragged me through the crowded house.

"He had to possess powers, he concealed us when he took me." Dad rubs his temples, sighing.

"How'd Xavier see you then?"

"I don't know. I thought you did something to him..." I furrow my eyebrows. Someone had walked in less than a minute before Xavier arrived.

They freshened up in the mirror and left. Despite the guy and I standing there, in the room with them. They didn't even bat an eye.

"I think there's more to Xavier than we thought." Dad settles down in his office chair. His eyes scan me, narrowing slightly. "You need to be more careful, now we know someone's out to harm you. Trust no one, not even Xavier."

"But-"

"End of discussion." He rasies his voice slightly, demanding I not push any further.

I have to trust Xavier, I feel as though he's the only one who can protect me. Whoever sent that guy to attack me probably didn't expect or know about Xavier. I bite my lip, which either means it scares them or he's now a target himself.

"Do you think the prophecy could be wrong?" I turn to my dad, watching as he crushes a soul stone, effectively killing someone on earth who sold their soul to him.

The black mass of a soul floats away, spreading into whisps of black air before disappearing. Joining the others in the pits of hell.

"The Fates are rarely ever wrong." He tells me, the tone of his voice telling me that he's done talking. I grab my bag from beside my chair, leaving just as the screaming starts.

The screams are pained and desperate. Dad has probably released the hounds on the souls. He likes to let them out to play every few hours. He treats the hounds better than the demons, who he only allows to torture the souls when he gets bored. For the most part, Dad loves hearing them scream and being the one to cause it.

Mel never understood how he could do it. I understood perfectly. These are the souls of murders, rapists, molestors, thiefs and drug dealers. Anyone who deserves to go to hell, is here. Mel acted as if these souls hadn't commited crimes, or done wrong in their time on earth. She saw the good in everything. While I danced to the shrieks, she cried. It's weird how we were so alike yet so different.

I pause outside the portal back to my room on Earth and listen. Their cries make the shitty weekend I've had a little easier.

¥

Xavier moves through the kitchen, grabbing things here and there. It was weird seeing him in such a domestic scene. I've really only seen him at school, in Hell or asleep that one time. I stare openly, taking in the simple beauty about him.

His skin is a caramel color, clear and smooth. His hair is pin straight, cut shorter on the sides, left long on the top. I remember how soft it was from the time I played with his hair. A small smile creeps onto my face.

He's tall, past six feet with a lean build and broad shoulders. He's a little more stocky than he is bean pole like. He has a sharp jawline and a strong chin. His eyes are the best part about him, they're a bluish-gray, contrasting with the other dark elements about him. Last night, his eyes turned black, and that was the scary part. I haven't mentioned it to him, knowing he's disgusted with himself for lashing out like that.

"Like what you see?" He flashes me a smile, winking as he sets a plate in front of me.

A fried piece of dough sits in front of me, with taco toppings on top of it. "Yeah, the food looks amazing."

"You'll go to hell for lying." He grins, dishing his own plate, taking two of the circular fried dough bowls.

I can't help, but laugh at his comment and the irony to it. He sits next to me at the breakfast bar. "The dough is called fry bread, my dad used to make it for my birthday."

I grab a fork and knife, cutting into the fry bread. It's crispy on the outside, soft on the inside paired with the taco toppings, it's delicious. "Wow, that's good."

It's not the most extravagant dish, but it's something I've never had before. I can tell this is special to him, knowing his dad is no longer in the picture. We eat in silence for awhile, I start getting full halfway through my plate to which Xavier just chuckles, working on his second piece.

The door jiggles, like someone is trying to get in. I tense up, jumpy after what happened last night. Xavier grabs my balled up fist and squeezes.

"Don't worry it's just my mom." He tells me. My eyes widen.

"You didn't tell me I was meeting your mom!" My voice cracks and he chuckles at my panic. What if she doesn't like me? Am I dressed appropriately? This dress shows a little cleavage, but would she think it was too much?

"Xavier, did you-" His mom stops mid-sentence and stares at me.