Chapter Twenty One

Xavier

Who would have ever guessed that I would be so madly in love with one person. Sure, I've known that I would eventually find someone. I didn't expect it to be so soon after I moved. Nor did I expect to be dating her a month later. And I definitely didn't expect to fall in love with her. Especially after I found out who her father is. I used to think it wasn't possible to love someone so quickly.

I want to say this isn't real love, that it'll pass in a few more months. But as I hold her in my arms, watching the light fade from her eyes, I can't bring myself to think the deep sorrow and ache in my chest is anything less than love. I hold her to my chest, having her half in my lap half out. This is anyone's worst nightmare. This is worse than anything Agmoth could ever throw at me. She's dying in my arms and I can't do anything.

Macaria takes a shallow breath, "I'm sorry." Her black eyes flutter shut.

Her voice is a little less than a whisper. A lump finds it's way into my throat as she struggles to breathe.

"No, no, no!" I hold her closer to my chest, tangling my hands in her hair. "Someone please do something!" I plead, the desperation in my voice is almost pathetic. I can't imagine what she's been through in the last few hours.

Or what she's going through now. What could she possibly be thinking? Has she accepted her death? Or is she fighting a losing battle? I want to believe she doesn't want to go. I want to think she's fighting to come back. She wouldn't just give up. She's far too stubborn for that.

I glance up to see them all bowing their heads. Agmoth is turned away from us, his body rigid. I know there's nothing anyone can do. So I hold her, even after I stop hearing her ragged breathing. I hold her rocking back and forth, tears pooling in my eyes. The silence is louder than my stranged cries.

Until a high pitched gasp cuts the silence. Lucifer stands at the entrance to the throne room, accompanied by an average height woman, with the same color hair as Chaos. Then it clicks that Chaos was Mel. No one really knew what happened after Mel fell.

Macaria died knowing her sister was the one who killed her. All for what?

The woman has sparkling blue eyes, her build similar to Macaria's and an aura around her that almost makes you calm. But in this situation it doesn't work. The woman holds a hand to her mouth. Lucifer's face breaks, his eyes filled with sorrow. I figure the woman is her mother. I swallow hard, clearing my throat. "I'm so sorry, I-I couldn't save her."

Lucifer shakes his head sharply dismissing my apology. He wraps his arms around his wife, holding her up when she falls against him weeping. I grip Macaria's hand, squeezing as if that might bring her back. As if she might wake up and say ow. As the initial pain begins to fade, a numbness washes over me. My fingertips brush her hair out of her face. I wipe away the dirt on her face, smoothing over the places her hair sticks up at random. I stare down at her peaceful face and wait for her to come back saying 'I got you'.

"I'd do anything to have her back." I mumble to myself, shifting so her head rests in my lap.

"Anything?" Lucifer speaks up, from where he tries to comfort his wife. Agmoth steps in, leading her out of the door through the newly opened portal.

I stare at him blankly. "Anything. I'd die right now to bring her back."

I don't want to be the one who kills you. It was the last thing I said to her. And she said I'm sorry as her last words. I should've told her that I'm sorry I couldn't save her. If I had been here quicker, she'd still be alive.

"How about your humanity?" Lucifer suggests, watching me. I see the pain in his eyes. I look down at Macaria, the times she would look at me and smile for no reason popping into me head. She told me she was just happy that I was hers when I questioned her about it.

I drag my eyes up to meet his, "What do you mean?"

He walks over, pausing on the steps before us. "I mean, I should be able to bring her back if you allow me to turn you into a demon and use your human essence to give her life again."

They always say to never make deals with the Devil. It's something everyone warns against. I mean look at Mark. He was six. Lucifer is a known trickster, a master of sly tricks with a cunning system of convincing people to agree to things.

But would he gamble with his daughter's life? I doubt it. He adores her. I know he does. She talked about him so highly. As if he weren't Lucifer at all. I guess she didn't see him as evil. The embodiment of it. She saw him as her hero. Her mentor. Her best friend. Her father.

If she trusted him, then I have to.

"It's a deal."

A/N

It's coming to an end.