Chapter Eighteen

Macaria

My eyes water, I watch as his tail lights disappear down the road. Biting the inside of my cheek, I turn on my heels and walk away from the window. Hunt asks me what's wrong, but I'm too busy telling myself not to cry over Xavier to answer. We almost wrecked because for some reason I can't let go of the fact that females flirt with him. It's not like Xavier entertains them, he doesn't even notice. Why did I get so mad over nothing?

After a long, hot shower I climb into bed. My mind stays locked on the horrified look on Xavier's face after we spun out. The pain he felt when he realized he could have killed me still fresh in my mind. It almost aches to think about it. I wish I weren't so attached to the emotions he feels.

A tear slides down my cheek. Then another. I cried earlier because I was scared he was hurt. I would have most likely walked away from the wreck fine. I'm almost indestructible, while he's not. Now I'm crying because I may have lost him.

¥

A loud crashing noise wakes me up. Then a number of shouts. There's at least one explosion and the house shakes. I remain frozen in bed, shocked at the noise I'm hearing. Damian bursts into my room, panicked.

"Get through the portal, NOW!" He yells, looking behind him. He pulls a knife from his jacket and throws it at whatever is coming up the stairs. He steps into my room just as someone dressed in all black appears in the doorway.

What happens next is a blur. Damian tries to slam the door shut, failing as the other person who has a noticeable amount of strength on Damian forces the door open. Then Damian tries to tackle the person and gets throw into a wall, falling unconscious. I try to freeze time, to try and escape through the portal. But it doesn't work. On my mad dash for the portal, the person grabs me.

The last thing I see is the face of the guy who tried to choke me at that party.

¥

When I come to, I'm tied to my father's throne. The throne room is darker than usual. Someone stands in front of me with a hood shadowing their face. I pull at my restrains, wincing when sharp thorns rip into the soft skin of my wrists. Demon vine. The more you struggle, the tighter and sharper it gets, until eventually the person or being, either bleeds out or loses a limb.

"Who are you?" I question. The person chuckles, in a soft feminine way. Their structure even reminds me of a female. She doesn't look to be much taller than me.

"I am the demon Chaos," She replies. Chaos. Since when was Chaos female? Last time I checked Chaos was my Godfather. "The newly crowned Chaos." The girl clarifies as if hearing my thoughts.

"What do you want?" I reply, trying to think of a way out of the Demon vine. Dad tried to touch me about the plant, but I was little and uninterested in what he had to say.

"I want what's rightfully mine!" Chaos snaps, stepping into the pale light coming from the torches of never ending hellfire that sit directly behind Dad's throne. My eyebrows furrow.

"What is that?"

"The throne in the Underworld." Chaos responds, causing me to give a dry laugh. They cock their head to the side. "What's so funny?"

"If you want me to turn down the throne for you, then you'll wait for the rest of eternity. That throne belongs to me." I sneer, looking at Chaos as if she's lost her mind. Dad will find out about this and kill her for what she's done. If I don't do it first.

"Actually," Chaos grabs the top of her hood, pulling it back to reveal silky blonde hair tied up in a tight ponytail. My travel from her hair to her face and my heart sinks at the sight. "The throne belongs to me."

My older sister, Mel stares back at me with cold blue eyes. I recoil, taking her in as she loses her robe, unfolding a pair of jet black wings. She chose to be an angel all those years ago. She didn't want to be a part of the evil in the world. She took her place in the Light, choosing to abandon her family. When we heard that she fell, we assumed she died when she never turned up in any part of the Underworld. Turns out she went a little deeper than just Hell. She must have entered Chaos' domain and taken over down there.

I narrow my eyes at my sister, emotions whirling around me. I should be happy to see that she's alive. But given the situation, I'm a bit confused.

"You're too easy, Ari." She chuckles, mounting the steps leading to the throne. "I've been here this whole time."

"Wha-What do you mean?" I question, jerking away when she reaches for me. She's changed. She's turned into something unrecognizable.

"You are weak," She spits, grabbing me by my hair, twisting my face up to look at her. "You think it was just coincidence that Xavier moved to your small town? I killed his father years ago to set up for this moment, I planted that town in his mother's head. I've been toying with your emotions, making you two fall in love. Making you think the Prophecy is true, just to get you both in the same place."

She yanks my hair down, cracking my skull against the hard stone of the throne. I spit blood at her, causing her to step away from me in disgust. "Do with me what you want, you'll never get the throne from me."

She gives me a look, saying 'wanna bet?'. It causes a sick feeling to settle in the pit of my stomach. "This isn't about you, honey. It's about him."

"You'll never get him." I picture how upset he looked.

"I don't need to. He came to me."

A/N

Yeet. Double update. Junior year is killing me though so yeah