Epilogue

Macaria

The bell rings, putting an end to the nervous shuffling of students. My leg stops jiggling and I nearly knock over a girl on my way out of the class. She scowls, but it quickly drops when she catches sight of me. I send her a smile over my shoulder and haul ass to the parking lot. Somehow, both Mark and Xavier beat me to our cars. I pull my fur lined designer coat tighter around me and fall into the fleece covered arms of Xavier.

"You guys ready?" I grin, hardly containing my excitement. Snowflakes collect in Mark's hair as we stand in the frigid wintery air. Watching as people struggle to get out of the parking lot.

I revel in the nervousness of the Freshman and Sophomore drivers who are about to drive in their first snow.

"Hell yeah I'm excited." Mark replies to me, twirling his keys on his finger. I tilt my head up to look at Xavier, frowning when I see that his eyes are jet black.

His eyes are locked across the lot, on a small freshman girl climbing into her car. I feel her heart beating a mile a minute. She's going over safety in her head, trying to calm her racing heart beat. I feel Xavier tense, he doesn't like doing this, but he has to.

The girl starts her car, carefully backing out of her parking spot. She makes it all the way out and breathes a sigh of relief. Then a car comes from behind and rams into her backend. It's a minor crash, but even the smallest amount of mischief feeds Xavier. He relaxes, feeding into the fear and upset he's caused everyone around us.

"Alright, let's get going. Don't want to miss our flight." He says, bringing his now steely gray eyes down to mine. He gives me a pinched smile, unwrapping his arms from around me.

"I'll see you guys there." Mark says, already climbing into his Toyota truck.

Xavier presses a kiss to the top of my head, stepping back so he can get into the car. "How was your day?"

I wait until we've gotten into the car and made it out of our parking spot to reply. "Long and boring. How was yours?"

"Could've been better."

¥

The flight was long and taxing. In my head I kept envisioning the plane going down. Thoughts like these have become more frequent. Especially with my crowning being only months away. Xavier doesn't know about it yet. Well, he knows it's coming. That soon he'll have to make the choice whether or not he stays here on Earth.

I won't let him know that I want him with me. By my side as I grow into the position of 'Lucifer'. I've taken too much from him, I've taken his humanity. As much as he insist it doesn't bother him being a demon, I know it does. I'm too attached to his emotions.

It hurts me to know he's hurting. It's been over a year now since I died and he made the ultimate sacrifice. He's struggled to understand why he lashes out. He struggles with the need to cause havoc. Xavier hates the demon in him. He hates being called a demon.

But he's never once blamed me. And that just proves to me that he will always remain him. When I first came to, my father told me what Xavier had done. I was upset, I demanded he take it back. For him to reverse the transformation. I even tried to myself, but only being half of the Devil makes my powers weak.

"Damn it's gorgeous here." Mark looks around. I smile, glancing back at Xavier. He's dressed in black cargo shorts with a fitted white t-shirt and sneakers. His sun glasses rest on top of his head.

He checks us into the hotel, excusing me from Mark. He grabs my hand and pulls me up to the suite we rented for the first week of Christmas vacation. Xavier uses the hotel card to unlock our suite, after a long and silent elevator ride. His hand never leaves mine.

The main door leads into a medium sized living area with a small kitchenette and large windows over looking the city of Miami, Florida. When I jeard that neither Mark nor Xavier had been here, I had to take them. Xavier doesn't know this, but this will be one of the last times we truly get to be just teenagers.

And if he decides to come with me to the Underworld, we won't be able to travel like this for a long while.

"This is beautiful," I mumble, stumbling along as Xavier pulls me into the master bedroom of the suite. The same large open windows in the kitchen extend into the bedroom. A king sized poster bed sits against the wall opposite of the windows. The flooring changes from a cherry wood flooring to plush white carpet that must be a bitch for the maids to clean when partiers come through.

Xavier slams the door shut, with the soft click of the lock behind it. His lips finding mine immediately, igniting a fire in me that is never truly satisfied unless his lips are on me. He walks us backwards until my legs hit the edge of the bed and buckle.

He hovers over me, his lips never leaving mine. His tongue swipes across my bottom lip and my lips part for him. The rest is a blur, because we never get tired of each other. And even when we are pressed skin to skin, it never seems to be enough.

¥

I watch Xavier run in the sand, envying out the setting sun made his tanned skin turn a warm golden color.  Mark serves the ball back to him, Xavier jumps and spikes it over the net. Mark dives forward, bouncing the ball back. These are the moments I wish Xavier had when he were still human. When he could still feel the sun kissing his skin. Or the cool ocean waves lapping his body.

My father was cursed right before he took over the throne. And I think my curse is eternal guilt. I'm only breathing right now because of Xavier. It pains me to know I took something from him that he'll never get back. And I don't know what I can do in this lifetime to make it up.

"Macaria!" Mark calls, "Your boyfriend is whooping my ass! Please come help me." He pleads, causing Xavier to chuckle. I stand up, brushing the sand off my legs.

Jogging over, Mark starts trash talking Xavier. I used to play volleyball when I was little. Mark probably remembers. We used to be pretty good friends until Mel did what she did. The thought of her made me shudder.

"I'm going to humble you a little, Mark. Maybe Nazrat has given you a little too much confidence." Xavier teases. I smile, thinking of the ways he's changed.

He's no longer as reserved as he was. Nor is he confused. He understands the Underworld as much as I do. He also doesn't fear anything anymore. So the deadly children don't bother him. He's actually quite fond of them and is always sneaking them pasteries. To an outsider it would seem he's the one who is half angel.

"How the hell did he still beat us?" Mark whines, flopping down on the other side of Xavier.

"Because I'm just better than both of you combined."

"I think Nazrat got to him." I tease, rufing Xavier's hair. He grabs my hand, entwining our fingers. He kiss the back of my back before resting our hands at his side.

"No shit." Mark replies, to which Xavier only smiles and stares up at the sky.

A/N

I never did post this. Wow.