Chapter 11

We return home to learn that everything was messed up. Bonnie tried to channel Luka but still wasn't strong enough for the spell, Jeremy had risked his life trying to get the moonstone and then Stefan ended up stuck in the tomb with Katherine where he had to listen to Damon and Elena screaming at each other just outside and where Damon promised to work with Bonnie to despell the moonstone and to keep Elena both away from the tomb and safe. Damon then decided that he was going to come to my house to stand in the doorway and accuse me of working with Elijah due to the way I was acting around him.

'Elijah has done nothing to me Damon, he is actually quite pleasant to me and I understand him in a way, besides didn't you notice that he saved Elena's life tonight? You don't even know why he wanted her in the first place? Has he actually done anything to harm Elena since we've met him?' Damon scowled at me and remained silent. 'You need to think things through here Damon, and don't be so quick to judge because I like the guy, I even sometimes like Katherine.'

'I'm sorry. I just didn't get why you were suddenly so friendly with him.' Damon says. 'Anyway, goodnight, I will see you tomorrow Jaybird.'

'Night Day.' I close and lock my door behind me. I could see now that having a friendship with Eliah could cause some problems. But Damon would just have to get over himself, because I liked Elijah and I knew that someday in the near future I was going to care about him like he was family.

It wasn't long before I received another call from Elijah.

'Thank you for your assistance today Jamie.' He said after I had answered the call.

'You're welcome Lijah, the Martin witches are yours I presume.' I commented.

He sighed. 'Yes, it seems you know me quite well, either that or you are an excellent strategist. You once again knew when to shield Elena from my violence, though I find it strange that though you say you don't like her you protect her from such gruesome sights. Why is that?' He questions.

'I am both an excellent strategist and I happen to know you. As for Elena... Despite the world she has now entered she isn't like the rest of us, she isn't as prone to violence nor should she be and I know that she has already seen it and will undoubtedly see more, but if I can I'd like to shield her from it, even just a little. No one should have to witness such violence but it's the world we live in, cruel but true. I wish that there had been someone there to shield me from it.' I explained. My kind didn't need to kill to trigger the curse but when we do kill, it leaves our eyes an icy blue, a reminder that we committed an act that goes against nature and that because of our souls are forever changed.

'I am sorry that you have suffered. I'd say I hope that you don't have to anymore but with what you are and the company you keep I fear we both know that is unlikely to happen.' He empathised.

'We have all suffered Elijah, but thank you and I guess it's the thought that counts.' I remembered something then that I had meant to ask him. 'You saved Elena's life tonight, stopped Niklaus from getting to her. You aren't working for him are you? You're working against him.'

'Correct. Niklaus has gone too far this time, I have lost all hope for his redemption.' Elijah sounded disappointed and pained that it has come to this point.

'Oh I don't know Elijah, have a little faith, he may yet surprise you.'