Chapter 23

We wait for hours by his body for him to wake up, so long that I had taken to leaning against the wall and sketching. I had went upstairs to grab my bag seeing as though we'd be leaving as soon as Elijah woke up, and I made sure to put several blood bags inside knowing that he would be hungry. After four hours I've grown impatient and so I take the dagger from Elena and move over to Elijah, dragging the blade across my palm, drawing blood. I pressed my hand to his mouth. 'Drink, Lijah.' I whisper. His hand suddenly comes up to grab my wrist as he drinks the blood from my cut until it heals. That's it, I think as I use my free hand to brush through his hair. He lets go and convulses slightly prompting Elena to rush over.

'Elijah, Elijah.' She whispers.

He looks at her with wide eyes. 'Katerina!'

'Elijah! It's me, Elena.' She assures him, her voice low. 'Please, shh.'

I can tell his mind is elsewhere. 'Oh my god.' His head rolls as he passes out again. He hasn't been invited in since the house changed owner, that could cause problems. He convulses again causing me to scramble backwards as he manages to get to his feet. 'I can't- I can't breathe. What's happening to me?' He falls and then tries to vamp out only to hit the wall. I go to him, supporting him with my body. 'I can't be in this house.' He manages to get out.

'You haven't been invited in Lijah.' I point out.

'Get me out of here.' I nod and speed him out of the front door where he collapses to the ground, catching his breath. Elena comes running with the dagger and my bag. And he tries to get to her blocked by the door. 'What happened?'

She hushes him and points to the ceiling. 'I'll tell you.' She whispers. 'Not here. Can I trust you?' I glare at her, she's not the one who should be asking that.

'Can I trust you?' He asks her, just as quietly and I smile, watching as she hands over the dagger as a show of good faith. She then hands me my bag and steps outside while I turn to Lijah, giving him a hug.

'I missed you Lijah.' I whisper in his ear. His hold on me tightens.

'And I you, Jamie.' He responds before letting me go. 'You fed me your blood.' He seems shocked. We started to walk towards Elena's car away from the house.

'It seemed the easiest way to wake you. Frankly I was getting bored after waiting for four hours so I decided to hurry the process along, besides I heal fast.' I showed him my hand which was smeared with blood but had no wound.

'You shouldn't have.' He says as we climb into Elena's car. Elena starts driving away from the house. 'Though I thank you for it.'

I dig through my bag, pulling out the blood bags. I lean forward from my seat in the back and hand them to him. 'You are welcome and here. Unless you'd rather drink from the vein?' I ask as I offer my wrist to him.

'The blood bags will suffice. You should not be so willing to offer yourself as a blood supply.' He tells me as he begins to drink.

'If it helps heal you Lijah I see no issue, I know that you wouldn't hurt me.' I respond and he meets my eyes in the rearview mirror as he drains the first bag before moving on to the second. As he finishes that one Elena pulls the car over to the side of the road.

'You look better.' She observes.

'Where did you get the dagger?' He asks in response and I roll my eyes, he already knows that, I worked it out.

'I'll tell you everything. But we have to work together Elijah, I need your word.' She says.

'You had it. And then you stabbed him in the back. Oh no wait, that was Alaric, you stabbed him in the front, my mistake.' I sass from my seat.

'Yes, your ability to make demands has long since passed.' Elijah continues.

'No demands, I am offering you my help.' She clarifies. 'In return I want yours.'

'And why should I even consider this?' He asks and I agree with his hesitance.

'The same reason you haven't killed me. You need my help to kill Klaus.' Sigh, the irritating brother. 'And I need you.' She continues before her cell phone starts to vibrate. She answers it and I hear Saint Stefan on the other end, joy.

'Where are you, are you okay?' He sounds so worried.

'Yes, I'm fine.' She answers.

'Where's Elijah? And is Jamie with you?' Ah they've discovered that he's missing then and they haven't forgotten me, wonderful.

'He's right here. So is Jamie.' Elena tells him.

'Where? I'm on my way.' No can do hero hair.

'Stefan, we need to talk to Elijah without the Salvatore influence. I'll keep her safe, you know that, so do you Damon. Besides, Elijah is no threat to us.' I speak from my seat, knowing they can hear me.

'He can't be trusted. He will use you to get to Klaus.' No he won't, not yet anyway.

'Elijah is a noble man, Stefan.' Elena says, holding eye contact with the man in question. 'He lives by a code of honour. I can trust him.' This is what I've been saying people, honestly, they should listen to me more often. 'He knows that I'd be incredibly stupid to betray him again. By removing the dagger, I have proven myself.' She continues.

'You can't do this alone.'

'She's not alone Stefan. Besides this is her decision to make, not to mention the right one. Respect this Stefan and keep Damon from doing anything stupid. We'll be in touch.' She hangs up the phone. Giving it to Elijah whose hand was held out for it, he smiles putting it in his pocket.

'He's here.' Elena reveals to Elijah.

'Klaus is here?' He questions and turns to me for confirmation.

'It's true, he's possessing Ric's body. He sure is something Lijah.' I tell him.

'Of course he is, that's one of his favourite tricks.' Elijah comments.

'Well what are his other tricks? What's he going to do next? You're the only one who knows him.' Elena sounds desperate.

'Yes, I do.' I can see he's about to get lost in his memories again.

'May I?' I ask him, he nods. 'Take us to the Lockwood mansion Elena.' I place my fingertips on his temples from the back seat and he opens his mind, projecting his thoughts on to me.