Chapter 31

I spend the day with Klaus as he moves all his pieces into place for the ritual tonight. I learn that he has Jules as his backup wolf, can't say I'll be sorry to see her dead. He also turns Jenna into a vampire to use in the sacrifice, I'm a little sorry about that but I don't know her all that well.

He drops me at the site of the ritual with them and the witch while he goes to collect Elena.

When Elena arrives and she sees Jenna she freaks out. The witch, who I don't like very much, spells them both inside circles of fire. She had Jules in a third ring of fire and had cast a spell to slow her transformation so she was in incredible pain. Thus everything is in place, all we are waiting for now is Nik. He likes to make a dramatic entrance it would seem.

I was sat, cross legged, on the ground a little bit away from the flames, drawing the scene in front of me, the way the flames circled them, and Greta standing with her hand raised as she did he witchy stuff.

Elena had taken a moment to scream at me, asking why I wasn't doing anything to which I just shrugged and said I had made a deal with Nik. Which in a way was true. He makes sure the people I love are safe and I don't interfere in any way. The way I see it, Nik was always supposed to be a werewolf, he was turned into a vampire, yes, but he was born a wolf and that is how he was supposed to live. This ritual, barbaric though it may be, is simply restoring the part of himself that the witches had taken from him, to me that only seems fair.

'Greta, witches are supposed to maintain the balance in nature. It's your duty to them to keep this curse sealed.' Elena tried to sway the bitch witch.

'My duty is to Klaus! The new order.' That almost sounds like the tagline of a cult.

'Glad to know I still have a dance partner.' Nik has arrived then, let's get this show on the road.

'How long does this take? I'd like to be able to enjoy some of tonight's full moon.' I ask him from my seat on the ground. He tilts his head curiously at me seeming amused by my relaxed posture.

'I thought full moons were excruciatingly painful. How is that enjoyable? The ritual shouldn't take more than a few hours.' He responds.

'Do you need me to stay human or can I go and shift? I'll stick around even as a wolf though.' I question and he seems even more confused.

'You can shift should you wish.' He eventually says. I nod, rising from the ground and pick up my bag, heading for the treeline. Once there I quickly take off my clothes before putting them into my bag along with my sketchbook. I shoot a text to Elijah, letting him know where the ritual was taking place and that I was safe before placing my phone in my bag as well and shifting. As a wolf I carefully pick up my bag with my teeth and return to where the others are.