Chapter 34

Our first stop was to my house, as both Nik and I were in dire need of a shower. After I had unlocked the door Elijah walked straight in while I turned to Nik. 'I'm rather particular about who I invite in, the only person in this town who has been invited in is Lijah. This house is a safe space and should I invite you to enter it I want you to respect that.' I inform him. He was slowly getting used to me treating him as I would anyone else, rather than being afraid like most.

'I understand, I will abide by your rules inside your home.' He promises and I can tell he is being truthful.

'Then you may come inside.' I tell him before entering the house and heading straight for the stairs. 'Lijah that book you were reading is on the table last I checked and I acquired some blood bags from the Salvatores, they are in the bridge, Niklaus follow me.' I said without turning around.

'Thank you Jamie.' Lijah called after me and I could tell that Nik had fallen into step behind me. I led him upstairs and pointed out the guest bedroom.

'It has an ensuite and there should be some clothes in the wardrobe that will fit.' He nods in response. 'My room's just down the hall, yell if you need anything.' I add before heading to my own room, ignoring the fact that he was staring after me.

I showered as quickly as I could then got dressed in some ripped black jeans and a Nirvana t-shirt that once belonged to my dad before braiding my hair. After I was ready I packed a duffel bag with some clothes and other essentials and threw my sketchbook, wallet and phone into a satchel. I had a feeling that I would be leaving this town tonight so I want to be prepared.

I lifted the satchel but left the duffel on the bed for the moment, heading downstairs to join the brothers who were glaring at each other across my kitchen counter.

'After a thousand years you would think the concept of forgive and forget would have sunk in a little.' I remark as I approach them.

'I don't think so.' Elijah replies honestly. 'Though I appreciate you obtaining blood bags for me.'

I grinned at him. 'Well you seemed so opposed to drinking from me last time, and I didn't want you to starve while you were here.' Nik choked on the blood he was drinking.

'You let him drink from you?' He questioned, completely shocked by this. I shrugged, it wasn't a big deal to me. 'Why would you offer yourself up to a vampire?'

'It's not just any vampire though, it's Lijah. He had woken up from being daggered that morning and had only had two blood bags. I knew that to fully recover he would need to drink from the vein and I heal really fast so I offered to let him drink from me.' I explain.

'I still wish that you hadn't.' Elijah says again.

'Are we going now?' I ask, ignoring what Elijah said. 'I do believe that we were about to have a family reunion.' I knew that it wasn't going to happen but I didn't want to cause trouble by mentioning this to Elijah.

'Yes, back to the hunter's apartment then.' Nik replied, leading the way out and towards our second stop of the day. As we approached Ric's front door I paused, able to detect both Katherine and Stefan's scents.

'Why is Stefan here?' I ask Nik, tapping my nose to indicate that he could probably smell him too. We enter and to no one's surprise both KitKat and Saint Stefan are there.

'I need your help.' He glances at me. 'For my brother.' Instantly I begin to panic, wondering what was wrong with Damon.

'Whatever it is it'll have to wait a tick. You see I have an obligation to my brother. That requires my immediate attention.' Nik explains before moving towards Ric's bedroom.

'You understand the importance of family, or you wouldn't be here. My brother gave me his word that he would reunite me with my own.' Elijah says, and it pains me to see the hope in his eyes when I knew what was about to happen.

'And so I shall.' Elijah spins to face Nik who stabs him through the heart with the dagger.