Chapter 26

'So as you have seen nothing can kill an Original.' I glance at him, knowing this to be false. 'Not sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree; a tree my family made sure burned.' Elijah continued.

'That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from.' Elena realises.

'Yes. The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth, every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain the balance.' He tells her.

'If the sun can't kill an Original, then why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the sun and moon curse?' Ah now she's asking the right questions. Elijah comments about how it sounds so biblical, and grins as I do, showing both of us a memory when Elena asks what's funny.

'Oh look, the Roman scroll.' Elijah approaches where Nik sits in a chair, handing him the scroll and standing behind him, a hand placed on his shoulder.

'I remember etching this scroll.' Nik reminisces. 'I was quite blistered from drink.'

'Your finest work remains your Aztec drawings.' Elijah tells him.

'Not the African carvings? 'Cause I was quite proud of those.' Nik points out.

'The Aztec.' Elijah confirms. 'Who can resist a Shaman?'

His comment sends Nik into a fit of laughter. 'Yes.'

And the memory fades. 'I don't understand.' Elena says.

And Elijah explains that it was them who created it, planting it in every culture they wanted. That the easiest way to procure a doppelganger and a moonstone was by having all vampires and werewolves looking for them. He then reveals that the curse is fake. Elena stares at him in shock.

'There is a curse. It's just not that one. The real one is much worse.' I agree on that front. 'It's a curse placed on Klaus.' He reveals to her. 'Klaus has been trying to break it for the past thousand years and you were his only hope.' I've been hearing her phone vibrate for the past several minutes and it was starting to annoy me. 'Your phone will not stop it's incessant buzzing.' He pulls it out and hands it to her. 'Answer it, please.'

As it turns out Klaric went after Jenna so Elena goes to be with her for the moment, to explain and make sure that she is okay. Once she is gone Elijah turns to me. 'If I may?' He raises a hand to my temple and I nod.

Elijah is chasing Katerina through a garden. 'You have to chase me!' They are both laughing. 'You're meant to catch me.' She says as they stop.

'But if I catch you, the game will be over.' Elijah reasons.

'Thank you for entertaining me.' Oh Katerina, how you love to play with men's hearts.

'You looked lonely inside, so I took pity on you.' He jokes with her.

'Klaus promised to spend the day with me, but he never returned home from the night.' I'll bet he didn't, no need to look so upset KitKat.

'Yes, Klaus does not live by any rules but his own.' Ain't that the truth, Lijah.

'He is a very charming man.' Oh you lovesick fool, give it a minute and you won't be saying that for the next five hundred years. 'Hard for any woman to resist, I suppose.' Not so sure about that, though he is pretty.

'And yet...' Elijah says, sensing more to come.

'I know not why he courts me. He seems to not care about me at all.' Well, he cares about your blood.

'Many a union has been built on much less.' Elijah points out.

'Is it wrong to want more?' Oh you poor, poor girl.

'Did you have more with Trefor?' Ah Trevor, I remember him.

She shakes her head. 'Trefor believes that he loves me, but true love is not real unless it is returned.' I disagree, but then I suppose that just becomes unrequited love. 'Do you agree?' She questions him.

'I do not believe in love, Katerina.' I don't believe that, I believe that you have simply suffered too much to dare to hope for it.

'That is too sad for me to accept, My Lord. Life is too cruel. If we cease to believe in love, why would we want to live?' They watch each other for a moment before Nik appears his shirt undone slightly and blood across it.

'What do I interrupt?' He questions with a smirk.

'He's returned.' He glances at the blood. 'Long night?' Nik's smirk turns more devilish.

'What has happened?' She questions, stepping towards him.

'The wrong villager picked a fight at the tavern.' He fabricates before leading her away.