1. Surprises

Normally I hate Mondays. Mondays are the day of the week where I finally have to leave my bubble with Josh but today was different because today was Josh's birthday.

We had both taken off work so we could spend the day together and as per usual I woke up and escaped to the kitchen before him to make him breakfast. I decide to make him bacon and eggs and go to work cracking the eggs into the bowl when I hear his footsteps. "What are you doing out here?" he asks, rubbing his eyes as a yawn escapes his lips.

"I'm making you breakfast" I announce excitedly. "It is your birthday today" I remind him and he scrunches his nose.

"Thanks for the reminder" he groans as he collapses onto the bar stool in front of me. "I can't believe I'm twenty-five" he adds, running his hands through his hair and I giggle.

"What's weirder to think about? The fact that you're twenty-five or that we've been together for four years?" I question and his lips quirk into a smile.

"Us being together for four years" he admits. "It seems like just yesterday you walked into my office for your school assignment."

"Doesn't it?" I ask, bracing myself against the counter. It seemed like the last four years were an unbelievable blur, sure there were ups and downs including me getting kidnapped, the pregnancy, the miscarriage, our engagement but it still felt like no time had passed. It was hard to believe that I had been with Josh for almost five years.

"It's been incredible" he admits. "I love you so much Maya" he says and my heart swells as I lean over the counter to peck his lips.

"I love you too" I murmur as we pull apart and return my attention to breakfast. "Do you want your eggs scrambled or-?" My question is cut off by a knock on the door and I share a confused look with my fiancé. "Are we expecting company?"

"Not that I know of" he says, jumping down from the stool and walking slowly towards the door. He looks into the peep hole and I watch him visibly relax before throwing the door open and coming face to face with Zeke.

"Hey my two favorite agents. How's it going?" he asks making me laugh as he brushes past Josh.

"Zeke what are you doing here?" I giggle, staring at our best friend in confusion.

"It's my man's birthday, I'm taking him out for a little bit" he announces and I quirk an eyebrow at him. Normally I would argue that we were spending the day together but...there was something I needed to do today and having Josh gone would make it easier.

"Dude you know we spend my birthday together-."

"Which you'll do until death do you part so what's a couple hours? I need you to help me out with something" he explains and Josh furrows his eyebrows at him.

"What could you possibly need my help with?" he asks, crossing his arms over his chest.

"A gift for Sadie's birthday" he explains and I chuckle while Josh rolls his eyes.

"You've been with this girl for over a year Zeke, don't you think you should be better at picking out gifts by now?"

"This one is special okay! I need your help to make sure I don't fuck it up like I do everything else" he adds and Josh rolls his eyes. Zeke was dramatic but honestly he was kind of right, his relationship with Sadie hasn't been an easy one but they seem happier than ever now.

"Are you gonna be alright?" Josh asks me and I nod my head.

"I'll be fine babe. You go have some guy time and I'll hang out here and get ready for tonight."

"What's tonight?" Josh asks and I shrug innocently.

"You'll have to wait and see" I smirk, hoping that I was right about my hunch and that tonight would be perfect