16. Pizza Party

"Um hello, yes, I'd like to place an order for two large sausage pizzas" my pregnant fiancée orders as she leans against the kitchen counter holding open a menu for Dominos. She gives the employee our address and politely ends the call while I'm slipping a gun into the waistband of my jeans. She quirks an eyebrow at me. "Do you really think you'll need that?" If there was one thing my fiancée hated it was carrying weapons; after having one pointed directly at both me and her I couldn't necessarily blame her but I had too much at risk to not be armed if something went down.

"Probably not but I'm making it home to you no matter what happens tonight so don't argue with me" I tell her, tucking her hair behind her ear before pressing a kiss against her lips. "What time is Noah getting here?" I ask her, pulling away.

She opens her mouth to respond when the doorbell rings. She smiles. "That's probably him." She skirts around the kitchen island and walks towards the front door, pulling it open to find Noah on the other side. "What's up stranger?"

"Nothing much. I like the look" he compliments, eyeing my wife's footie pajamas. She laughs, ushering him inside.

"Don't tease me. I'm pregnant and extremely uncomfortable" she grumbles. He chuckles softly before looking up and locking eyes with me. After that his mouth clamps shut and he raises his hand behind his neck to scratch it uncomfortably.

"Hey Josh."

"Hi Noah. Take good care of my girl tonight, okay?" I ask him, trying to be the bigger person that I promised Maya I would be. He was just a friend, I needed to stop being such a jealous asshole. He nods and I smile, turning my attention back to my fiancée. "You be careful. I know you're a grown woman and everything but you never know. Keep the doors locked and make Noah get the pizza in case someone from school is the pizza delivery person, okay?" I caress her cheek and she turns her head, pressing her lips against the palm of my hand.

"You worry far too much baby. I'll be fine. Good luck" she adds, standing on her tippy-toes to kiss me. I kiss her back softly, letting the kiss linger a bit longer than I usually would. I can't help it. After you see enough news stories about officers never returning home it becomes ingrained in your mind that every goodbye could be the last. "I love you" she murmurs as we pull apart.

"I love you too" I tell her. I give Noah one last pointed look before heading towards the front door to leave.

*************************************************************************************

"So, is he just like...super protective because you both have such a high-risk occupation or-?" Noah trails off as we settle onto the couch after the pizza arrives. It's been about fifteen minutes since Josh left but Noah had been pretty quiet since...until now. I knew the question was coming. Josh was way too protective over me for it not to ever come up.

"It's a long story Noah." I wipe my mouth with a napkin, leaning back against the arm of the couch while I sit crisscross turned to face him sitting opposite me.

"Well I'm pretty sure the party isn't going to be ending anytime soon so, we have nothing but time" he presses. I bite my lip, taking another bite of my pizza as I contemplate actually opening up and telling someone about what happened to me in high school...the night I almost lost not only Josh but my own life as well. "Maya" he groans and I sigh, sitting up again and tossing my plate onto the table. Apparently he wasn't going to let this go.

"Fine" I concede. "I shadowed Josh in high school" I admit. He furrows his eyebrows in confusion. He obviously needs more detail. "It was for a project, one that counted for most of my final grade and Josh being my mentor...it kinda threw things off kilter."