13. Best Friends

I finally sleep that evening but not nearly as long as Josh. We had decided we'd both be skipping school today because of a doctor's appointment when in reality we were heading into the office to talk to Aaron about our progress with the case. He was so confident that Aaron would be satisfied with the little evidence we had but in all honesty the only reason I agreed to go today was to get the drugs out of the house. 

I climb out of bed and grab my phone as I head out of our room towards the kitchen to make myself some decaf coffee. I was nearly twelve weeks pregnant at this point which meant that I actually did need to have a doctor's appointment in the next few days but I hadn't even made the appointment yet since we were so busy with the mission so, while the coffee is brewing I dial the doctor's number and lean against the counter while it rings. 

"Good afternoon this is Polly, how can I help you?" the receptionist asks and I smile. 

"Hi, my name is Maya Hunter and I need to schedule my twelve week ultrasound." I hear her type some things into the computer while she asks me routine questions until finally she chirps back a date for the appointment. 

"Is Monday alright?" she asks and I nod my head. 

"Monday is great" I confirm. We settle on a morning appointment and I'm in the midst of hanging up the phone when Josh walks down the hallway, scratching the back of his neck. 

"Who are you calling this early?" he asks, his eyes squinting against the sun beaming in through the kitchen windows. I turn around and prepare myself a cup of coffee while he settles onto a bar stool across from me. 

"I made my next ultrasound appointment for Monday" I explain, turning back around to face him. "You aren't busy are you?" I ask, lifting my coffee to my lips. 

"Of course not. Besides, I'd drop everything for you and our babies" he adds cheesily and I roll my eyes at him in amusement. He was adorable when he tried so hard. 

"Whatever you say babe" I smile, standing up and clutching my coffee in my hands. "I'm gonna get ready for our visit with Aaron. See you in a little bit?"

"I'll be here" he assures me, standing up and heading towards the fridge to get himself breakfast while I head upstairs to change. 

***********************************************************************************************

One of the things I was happiest about when I was transferred to Albany was that I didn't have to walk into a station where they all made a big deal out of mine and Maya's relationship. Back in Greenwich she was always seen as my ride along that I fell for but here she was my fiancee but also my partner, my equal. Here, when we walked into the station no one even payed attention to us, except of course Maya's best friend on the force. 

"Maya" Lola squeals, jumping out of her seat and running into my fiancee's arms. "How are you? How are the babies? Is there a break in the case?" she rambles and Maya giggles as she holds her friend at arms length. 

"I'm great Lol and the babies are content living in my belly for now and as for the case" she sighs, running her fingers through her long, blonde locks. "We're getting there" she says finally, forcing a smile onto her face. "And speaking of which, have you seen Aaron?"

The young woman shakes her head despite the red hue that colors her cheeks and it occurs to me that Aaron is most certainly sleeping with her and they's definitely seen quite a bit of each other today. "Really?" Maya asks cluelessly. I loved the woman but when it came to her friends and family she suddenly lost all sense of her training. 

"Is he in his office?" I ask bluntly and Lola shrugs causing me to groan. I didn't have time to pretend that Lola was oblivious to her boss. I walk towards his office and knock, getting permission to enter from my boss who was seemingly indeed inside his office. I wave Maya over and the two of us walk in causing Aaron's eyes to widen in surprise.