2. Symptoms and Sick Days

The one thing that everyone warns you about when you get pregnant is the morning sickness but you don't realize just how bad it's going to be until you're on the bathroom floor with your head resting on the toilet.

"I thought I'd find you in here" Josh says, taking a seat on the floor beside me and rubbing his hand down my back soothingly. "You okay baby?" he asks and I groan, hiding my face.

"I feel awful" I complain. "How am I supposed to start this assignment if I can't stop the room from spinning?"

He sighs. "Sweetheart this is what I was worried about" he confesses. "Do you need me to call Aaron?" he asks but I shake my head. I had to go to work.

"No" I protest, attempting to stand up but I lose my balance and Josh catches me before I have a chance to hurt myself.

"Yea you're lying in bed today" he says decisively. "Your assignment can wait until Monday" he adds and I sigh. I knew he was right but I hated admitting it. I also hated feeling so helpless, I was a girl who loved doing things for herself but this baby was making it impossible.

Josh helps me into our bedroom and tucks me into bed before walking out and returning moments later with Gatorade. "You might be dehydrated. Drink this and get some rest. You kept me up all night tossing and turning so I know you certainly didn't sleep" he adds and I bring my bottom lip between my teeth.

"You really are the sweetest you know that don't you?" I ask and he smiles, leaning down to peck my lips.

"I just want to take care of you" he admits making my heart flutter as he backs away from me. "I'm gonna call us in and then when you get up we should call and make the appointment to see our little miracle" he says making a smile tug at my lips. The real miracle would be carrying to term and I was still a ways off from that.

"Mkay" I hum. "Goodnight Josh."

"Night gorgeous" he smiles before slipping out of our room while I drift off to sleep.

~ 🚔 ~

"Don't start with me" I insist, rolling my eyes as I talk to Aaron. He was being annoyingly stubborn about Maya's short leave of absence. "I told you from the start that if she got pregnant then the baby came first. You asked her to do the assignment and now that she is indeed pregnant the baby is all that matters."

"The mission can't be completed if she's home on bedrest. You need to loosen the reigns a bit. She's probably no more than a couple weeks. She'll be fine if you let her out of the house."

I fume with anger. No one understood. No one else had to hold the love of their life and watch them crumble before their eyes in a hospital room after rushing there at three in the morning because you knew something was wrong. No one else had to watch their soulmate miscarry and not be able to do a damn thing to stop it.

"She's not coming in. End of discussion. See you Monday" I snap, hanging up the phone and running my fingers through my hair in frustration. "Dammit" I murmur under my breath as a flash of blonde hair catches my eye.

"Were you yelling?" she asks softly.

"I uh, yea" I confess, rubbing my neck. "Aaron wants you to come into work" I explain. She nods knowingly, making her way towards me and wrapping her arms around my waist.

"I assume you told him to shove it" she guesses and I laugh, wrapping her in my arms.

"Something like that" I smirk, leaning down to kiss her. "But you need to stop distracting me. You need food and then we need to call and set up your appointment."

"I'm nervous" she confesses and I nod, squeezing her tight.

"Me too baby. Me too."

~ 🚔 ~

Our appointment is set for Thursday. That meant I had another day to collect my emotions before I went to see our baby.

Josh and I relax all day, watching movies and eating popcorn but around eight o'clock my stomach is beginning to revolt against the six bowls of the kernel goodness and I feel like I'm gonna be sick.

I run out of the living room and collapse in the bathroom, losing all the delicious food my boyfriend prepared for me today and groan. I hear Josh's footsteps and again he takes a seat beside me. "You didn't get morning sickness last time" he says and my eyes widen.

He was right. The last time I was pregnant, I lost the baby before I even had any symptoms beside being late. This was the first time I felt pregnant. "You're right" I murmur, allowing a giggle to fall from my lips.

He smiles and my heart swells. Maybe this time would be different...as long as I kept being careful. "Maybe hope isn't for suckers" he murmurs and I nod in agreement as I place my hand over my belly.

I could only hope he was right.

~ 🚔 ~

Maya falls asleep around eleven, leaving me some alone time. I head over to my computer to get some casework done but it's not long before I'm interrupted by my phone ringing.

I glance over at the screen and bring my bottom lip between my teeth when I see my mom's name flashing on the screen. When I started dating Maya my parents were incredibly happy for us but that happiness quickly turned to disappoint when we broke the news of our pregnancy but after our miscarriage we had begun to get close to them again.

The only problem...they were against our attempts at starting a family. They thought the miscarriage should've stopped us from hoping to have a child of our own and they urged us to get married and adopt. Of course, it wasn't a horrible idea it just isn't what we want.

I take a deep breath and answer the phone. "Hey ma" I greet her.

"Hello darling" she chirps. "Up late again?" she asks and I chuckle, nodding my head.

"Casework has me busy" I explain.

"Oh, Maya isn't keeping you occupied?" she asks and I sigh, glancing down the hallway towards our bedroom. We planned to keep the baby a secret until we were past the point where she could miscarry so I had to make up some reason for my nocturnal fiancée to be asleep at eleven o'clock at night.

"Uh no. She uh started her assignment today and she's exhausted" I lie simply. My mom hums.

"Well I suppose it's good that she's got a new assignment. How does she like the DEA anyway?"

"She loves it" I smile. Maya loving her job was an understatement, this job was meant for her.

"That's good" she says politely. "When will we be seeing you both again?" she questions. "I mean, your birthday just passed and we didn't get to celebrate together" she pouts and I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

"I don't know mom. Life is just really busy right now-."

I hear the bedroom door opening followed by soft footsteps as Maya walks into the living room with her arms wrapped around her waist. "Uh mom hold on" I pause, looking up at her worriedly. "You okay gorgeous?"

"I'm hungry" she giggles and I burst into laughter.

"Mom I'll have to call you back" I smile, telling her I love her before hanging up the phone and walking towards my fiancée. "What would my babies like to eat?" I ask curiously and a grin spreads across her lips.

"Pizza" she says and I nod, reaching for my phone. "With Ranch dressing" she adds and I quirk an eyebrow at her. "Don't give me that look, I'm pregnant" she exclaims and I chuckle, pulling out my car keys.

"I'll be right back my love" I smile, pecking her lips before turning to leave the house.

A/N: Fun fact, pizza with ranch is actually something most people in the midwest eat...we literally dip everything in ranch. It's not a craving but an actual way to eat your pizza 😊