Epilogue

September 5, 2018

My doctor was sure that I wouldn't go into labor on my own. It was my first pregnancy and I was having twins. The odds of me going into labor naturally were slim to none.

My induction was planned for the following week and everything was ready. Except me. I was a nervous wreck.

Which made what happened even worse. "Josh!" I was standing in the bedroom, standing at the foot of the bed folding laundry when I realized what happened. I look down at the floor in disbelief.

"What? What's wrong?" Josh panics, rushing into the room. He was busy in the nursery doing what, I don't know. I had insisted on multiple occasions that everything was perfect for the twins' arrival, but he disagreed. I think he was currently working on color coordinating the closets.

"I think my water broke." His eyes widen and I think for a moment that the news has broken him because he just stands there like a statue. It's possible he was in shock, I suppose. "Josh." I take a hesitant step towards him but that seems to be what wakes him back up because suddenly he's flying around the room, grabbing my go bag and all the last minute accessories.

I have the thought to help but he's too fast. Soon enough he's taking my hand and leading me downstairs to the car. It's a blur really; from the drive to arriving at the hospital. I'm admitted within a half hour, dilated about three centimeters.

I wince as a contraction hits, squeezing Josh's hand at my bedside and cursing quietly under my breath. I had never felt a pain so strongly, but I wouldn't complain.

I had waited my entire life for this. For the moment that I would become a mom. Josh shakes out his hand after I release it at the end of my contraction. "Sorry" I apologize.

Josh shakes his head at me dismissively, repositioning himself at my side and taking my hand once more. "No need to be sorry. I've been hurt much worse" he reminds me. A frown finds its way onto my lips for just a second before I decide that I won't dwell on the past right now. Right now, is about our future.

An hour passes quickly and then another and another. I reach the six hour mark dilated to seven centimeters and in immense pain, but I was determined to do this without an epidural. The last thing I wanted was a large needle going into my spine. No thank you.

Finally, almost eight hours into my labor, I'm told that it's time to push and after almost a half hour the cries of our firstborn ring out, echoing off loudly off the walls and my own cries follow shortly after. "It's a girl" the doctor announces. I cry even harder.

But of course, I'm not done yet. A whopping two minutes and three seconds later our son is born, just as perfect as his big sister.

Our little girl is placed on my chest after she's cleaned up and our son is handed to Josh, the both of us looking at each other in absolute wonder.

I could remember a time where we didn't think this would ever be possible, to be holding children of our own and yet here we were, parents of two perfectly healthy twins. "He has your nose" Josh comments, tears rolling down his face.

I chuckle, gazing at the little girl in my arms who was blessed with her father's head of brunette hair and our dazzling blue eyes. She was every bit as perfect as I always dreamed she'd be. "Have you settled on names?" The nurse asks conversationally.

Josh's smile lingers as he lifts his gaze from our son and onto me. Like he had said would happen, we had dragged our feet in deciding on names for the little ones, only coming up with our definitive decision last week; but they were perfect.

Our daughter, Audrey Hope Matthews. A name meaning strength and hope. Two things that we had a lot of in our journey to become her parents and two things we hope to instill in her as she grows up.