14. Partners in Life

Mondays are usually the worst day of the week for good reason. Who wants to get out of bed and actually act as a functioning member of society when just a few hours before they were enjoying a carefree evening sitting in front of their television watching their favorite show and eating junk food? But today, Monday wasn't so bad because today we would get to see our babies again. 

"You almost ready?" Josh calls into the bathroom where I was finishing up my make-up. Since I had gotten pregnant there weren't very many mornings where I felt up to doing so much as getting out of bed but this morning I felt good and so I was taking advantage of it. "Maya" he says, stopping in the doorway. "Can't you hear me?" he asks. 

I laugh, finishing off my eyeliner. "I was concentrating" I tell him, glancing at him over my shoulder. "Relax. We have plenty of time" I add, closing my makeup bag and walking towards him. 

"You look-" he trails off, staring at my face intently. 

"Put together for a change" I tease, reaching up to peck his lips. "Did you forget that I'm capable of looking this good?" I ask as I walk past him into our bedroom to pick out a pair of shoes. He follows me, sitting on the edge of the bed. 

"You always look good" he argues, leaning back on his hands while he waits on me. I swore the poor man spent half his life waiting for me. "But I'll admit, the makeup looks good babe."

"Thank you" I reply, taking a seat beside him and strapping on a pair of sandals. It was a beautiful spring morning which meant I could dress in less layers which was great because it allowed me to slip into a simple yellow sundress rather than a constricting pair of jeans. "Ready?" I ask once my shoes are on and he nods, standing up and holding out his hands to help me up. I was only twelve weeks pregnant but I had a pretty substantial bump at this point that was beginning to hinder my ability to do things with the same ease as I could before I got pregnant. I take his hands and stand up and let out a deep breath, smoothing out the wrinkles in my dress. "Thank you...again" I add and he laughs, shrugging his shoulders. 

"Anytime baby" he replies, pecking my cheek before reaching into his pocket for his keys. 

Together, we head out of the house and towards the car, climbing in and speeding off towards the doctor's office. I decide in that moment that I should probably tell Josh the small little secret I had been keeping from his all weekend. It wasn't that I didn't want to tell Josh that Noah had figured out my secret but I knew he wouldn't be happy and I was nervous that he'd ask me to walk away from the mission. Thus, I had kept my mouth shut all weekend. 

"Josh."

"Hm?" he hums, putting on his turn signal and making a soundless right turn. I let out a deep sigh and glance over at him. He seemed to be in a good mood today; I knew he was excited to see the babies and any time away from the school was nice but I worried that what I was going to tell him was going to cause a total one-eighty. 

"Something happened on Friday" I confess and he furrows his eyebrows, glancing over at me for a brief moment. "You know Noah?" I ask and I watch as his cheeks turn bright red and his plump lips purse into a thin line. 

"What about him?" he asks coldly. 

"He sorta" I pause, swallowing harshly. "He figured out that I'm undercover."

"What?" Josh shouts, slamming on the breaks abruptly causing me to fly forward a tad. My hand flies to my stomach as do Josh's eyes as he realizes what he's done. "Shit" he murmurs, putting his foot back on the gas and finishing the drive in silence.

When we pull up to the office he throws the car in park and unbuckles his seat belt, turning in his seat to look at me. "Are you okay?" he asks first and I nod which practically gives him the green light to yell at me. "Good" he continues, "because then I can ask you what the hell you were thinking. How the fuck did some guy-."