20. Running Late

Functioning today is impossible. The bust, the one that my fiancé is so sure is going to go exactly how he's planning is tonight and the amount of stress I'm under isn't good for myself or the babies. "You seem off today" Noah says while I watch the love of my life walking down the hall with the druggies he would attempt to arrest tonight. It was sort of crazy to think about, no matter what happened tonight, school would be different come Monday morning.

"Sorry" I apologize, slamming my locker shut. "I just have a lot on my mind."

He chuckles. "You say that a lot, you know that don't you?" I sigh, looking both ways to ensure we're alone before I take his hand and lead him into an alcove in the middle of the hall. Sure it may look suspicious but not in the way I'm worried about; if anything, rumors would start swirling that I was stepping out on Josh with him but Noah was not only too young but more like a little brother to me.

"Something's going down tonight" I explain, dropping my voice down a couple octaves.

"Something? What do you mean something?" He asks and I bite my lip because honestly, this was risky. His girlfriend would no doubt be involved in what was going down tonight and he could tip her off but somehow I knew he wouldn't which is the only reason I can give for why I decide to be honest with him.

"The deal tonight. The one that'll officially bring Josh into the inner circle...it's a sting. They'll all be arrested as soon as Josh gives the agents a signal." Noah's eyes widen and he stumbles back into the wall, silent. I don't know what's going through his head but I worry that it's not good and that I'm about to regret telling him the truth.

"S-so if Ari were to go tonight-?"

"Noah, she's made her bed" I explain, attempting to put it as lightly as I can. She is his sister after all and she's not a bad person. She just fell into the wrong crowd.

"Shit" he mutters, running his fingers through his hair. "A-and if I tell her-?" Tears well in my eyes.

"She could tell everyone, get the tables turned-." I get choked up, allowing myself to paint that picture in my head, the one I've been trying my best not to dwell on since Josh told me his plan. "Noah, I know it's selfish of me to ask you to put my family above yours-."

"I won't say anything" he says, swallowing harshly as he steps towards me. "I promise." Then, he surprises me by wrapping his arms around me and I find myself hugging him back. "Just please do me a favor and help my sister."

I let out a sigh of relief. "I promise. I know the best lawyer in New York" I add honestly as we pull apart, the bell ringing in the distance. "And if it'll help, you can come over tonight. You know, keep both our minds busy."

"And keep my phone out of my hand?" I nod, holding my hand out for his phone and just as he's suggested, he places it in my palm and my hand wraps around it. "I trust you Maya."

"I promise it's not misplaced" I reply, linking my arm in his as we head off to class.

*************************************************************************************

"So, tonight" Drake starts explaining the specifics of how the deal will go down while all I can think about is Maya and the way she practically ignored me this morning. I knew she wasn't happy about this, she'd made that abundantly clear but the silent treatment was killing me.

"What'd I miss?" Ariana asks, approaching us from across the football field. We had snuck out of the school, out to the track field where the guys were busy smoking on the bleachers, getting high before last period. They'd offered me a few puffs but I refused, lying and saying that I wanted a clear head going into tonight. Which I guess wasn't a lie, exactly.