28. Squad Cars

It's hard to wake up the next morning. Something about being back in your bed after sleeping in a hospital bed for days just doesn't make you want to leave and face reality.

Unfortunately, we have to go to the station this morning for our statements.

Maya is still asleep when the alarm goes off and I decide to let her sleep a little longer since I need to take a shower anyway.

I climb out of bed and pad across the floor to gather clothes from my dresser. I quietly open the drawer, pulling out jeans and a worn t-shirt before closing it with my hip and walking into the bathroom.

I don't take a long shower, just long enough to enjoy standing under the steaming showerhead and get the dirt and grime of the hospital washed away.

When I step out, I glance into the room and find my pregnant fiancèe still asleep. I smile, glad that I didn't wake her and step in front of the mirror to get ready.

I glance at my watch as I strap it onto my wrist and figure that there's still a bit of time before we have to go to the station and Maya needs her rest. So, I get started on some laundry.

It's a good thing she's not awake because she'd certainly kill me if she was awake and saw me doing housework.

I grab my bag of laundry from the hospital and hoist it over my shoulder before reaching down and grabbing a pile at the side of Maya's bed.

When I do, a folded piece of paper is left behind. I furrow my eyebrows as I pick it up.

On the front is my name. Short, simple and in my girl's handwriting.

I look at Maya, her blonde hair stuck to her cheek and her mouth parted as soft breaths were inhaled and exhaled causing her chest to rise and fall slowly, her hand subconsciously resting on her baby bump.

My eyes fall back onto the paper.

I move towards the bed and take a seat, unfolding the note and beginning to read.

Baby,

I thought of addressing this to Josh, formally to you, but then I thought that if you wrote a letter like this to me that it would be addressed to sweetheart. I remember when I was younger, I would absolutely melt every single time you called me that. I think the first time you did it my heart actually stopped in my chest and your smile probably restarted it.

I don't really know what I'm supposed to be saying in this letter or how exactly to be romantic, you were always better at that but I'm sitting here in my childhood bedroom and I'm wishing you were here with me so here I am. Writing to you as if you'll write back.

I've been thinking a lot in our time spent fighting, about how when we were younger we would've spent this time on a break or something, pushing each other away like we often did but growing up, we only pull each other closer. Every fight ends in a kiss. Every angry remark earns an apology. We're not perfect but we make each other better. And I can't be mad at you anymore. I don't know how this happened but I know that you thought you were doing what you thought was best. It's all you ever do. It just went wrong this time but I promise you, I'll never let anything seriously happen to you.

You found me and I'm going to find you.

And then we're going to quit these damn missions, don't you think it's time? Our babies need us. I need you and I don't want to worry anymore. You'll give me gray hair soon if we keep this up. But really, I could do with some good ole' patrolling and car sex...couldn't you?

I love you Josh and I know this isn't romantic in the slightest and epically messy but I promise my vows will be more polished and just generally better.