8. The Story

The idea to go undercover with Maya seemed so good until I woke up on Friday morning at six a.m. I had to get to school at the same time as Maya but instead of going directly to class I had to do a bunch of paperwork for the department and the school before I would be released. 

"Morning honey" Maya smiles softly as she walks into the room with a towel wrapped around herself. Her skin looked aglow this morning and for the first time in weeks she didn't look as if she was ill. 

"Good morning" I yawn, rubbing my eyes. "You're perky this morning."

She hums, dismissing me with her hand. "It'll pass and the nausea will return" she assures me. "But yes, I feel much better this morning" she confirms. "How are you?"

"Tired and a little nervous. It's been twice as long since I've been in high school than you babe."

"Yet you can still certainly pass as an eighteen year old" she smirks, dropping her towel and grabbing a pair of jeans from her dresser. "You'll be great hon."

"I hope so" I sigh as my phone rings on the nightstand. She turns to look at me as I dive at the nightstand, grabbing the annoying device and bringing it to my ear. "Aaron is there a reason you're calling me so damn early?"

"Making sure you're awake" he replies. "And making sure we're set for today. It is your first day, correct?" I roll my eyes. I swore sometimes he treated me like a child and it drove me insane. Maya was always his favorite...so much so that sometimes it seemed that he even had a slight crush on her but I always dismissed it on account of her being fully committed to me. 

"Everything is set, sir. Relax, me and Maya got this."

"I have no doubt" he replies though I'm sure there's a hint of doubt in his tone. "Have a good first day" he adds before hanging up. I toss my phone back on the nightstand and look back towards Maya who is now fully clothed in a pair of dark wash jeans and a cream colored sweater. "You look nice" I compliment, climbing out of bed. 

"Thank you" she replies, placing her hand on her small bump. "I feel like it's starting to be a little obvious don't you?" she asks, turning sideways in the mirror. I shrug. You could certainly tell her belly was bigger than usual but I didn't think anyone suspected anything yet. "We should probably come clean sooner rather than later" she sighs. 

"Are we telling everyone it's twins?"

She shakes her head. "That's our little secret" she argues. "The less they really know about us, the better."

"I thought you liked them." 

She turns to face me. "I like them just fine but at the end of the day, this is a mission and nothing more. These babies are our future."

***********************************************************************************************

The worst part of school is small talk. I hated the routine of standing by your locker and discussing pointless stuff like last night's homework and if your teachers were secretly having affairs. I'm tuning out the group around me while I gather my books until Drake mentions something about the party. "It's gonna be epic" he brags. "I have three kegs, a DJ and enough bedrooms for everyone" he adds with a smirk. 

The group whoops and hollers and I roll my eyes. I was truly too old and pregnant for this shit. "Are you coming tonight Meg?" Drake asks and I look up at him, shrugging nonchalantly. 

"Maybe."

"Oh come on" Ariana smiles, nudging me with her elbow. "It'll be fun."

I sigh. "It's not that I don't think it'll be fun-." Just then a student waltzes past me wearing an entire bottle of Axe body spray and my stomach flips. I put my hand over my mouth and immediately rush towards the bathroom, not caring in the least how crazy I appear to be.