12. A Start

I don't sleep. I toss and turn all night and into the morning until finally the alarm clock blares on the beside table meaning it's time to get up and go to work. Josh stirs beside me, tightening his grip around my waist while his lips duck down to press against my neck. "Morning" he murmurs. 

"Morning. How'd you sleep?" I ask curiously. He too was more restless than usual but at least he slept a little bit. 

"Not great" he replies. "What about you?" he asks and I chuckle. Between the stress of work and Josh's parents I didn't think I'd ever sleep again not to mention it was already becoming difficult to get comfortable at night due to the little ones growing inside me. 

"I haven't fallen asleep yet" I confess, turning around in his embrace to look at him. He sighs, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

"You let my parents get to you, didn't you?"

I groan, collapsing my head against his bare chest. "How can I not? They were so much angrier than I ever imagined. I thought they'd at least be a little excited knowing how hard it was for us to get pregnant."

Josh shakes his head, pressing his lips to the top of my head. "They only see our age and lack of legal commitment" he explains, rubbing his hands soothingly down my back. "We're young and we made the decision to start a family before we got married and they just" he pauses, releasing a deep sigh. "They just don't understand. Everything is black and white in their eyes, they don't realize that sometimes life doesn't happen in a perfect order. You were told that your window for having kids was narrow and so we didn't waste a single moment trying to have a family and we are so, so blessed Maya. I know it's hard but you can't let them ruin this for us, okay?"

"They're your family" I argue weakly but again, he shakes his head. 

"You're my family. You and our babies. I love you Maya."

"I love you too" I reply softly, closing my eyes as I finally drift off into a peaceful slumber wrapped up in the arms of the man of my dreams. 

***********************************************************************************************

I feel bad sneaking out of bed but one of us had to go to work today and since she hadn't gotten any sleep there was no way I was letting her leave our bed. I untangle her body from mine and quietly move around the room, getting dressed for what would no doubt be the longest day ever. 

I change into a pair of jeans and a random red t-shirt and slip into a pair of tennis shoes before heading downstairs to leave. I write Maya a quick note telling her that I was at work and that she shouldn't hesitate to call me if she needed me and I stick it to the fridge before turning around and grabbing my keys off the counter. 

I head out the front door and skip down the steps, climbing into the car and backing out of the driveway to start off to school. The drive is long and boring without Maya to keep me company and by the time I pull into the school parking lot I'm already regretting leaving my bed. 

I find a spot right by the door and put my car in park before climbing out and surveying the parking lot for any sign of Drake or Ariana and eventually I spot the two of them leaning against his car making out. I roll my eyes. The two of them had the most confusing relationship ever; it was almost as if she knew he was only interested in her physically yet she didn't care. I would never understand people. 

I try to sneak into the school without being spotted but just before I clear the second step up to the door I hear my code name being called by Drake. I sigh, composing myself as I turn around and backtrack to where the couple is standing. "Hey Drake" I greet him. 

"Hey man" he smiles. "Where's the girlfriend today?" he asks, looking around for Maya. 

I fix my backpack on my shoulder and sigh. I couldn't be too specific since we weren't supposed to have any interest in each other outside of our kid so I simply shrug. "She texted me that she's sick so uh yea she won't be here today."

"Poor Megan" Ariana replies, her lips quirking into a frown. "She's been so sick. I hope she feels better soon. Maybe you should bring her some soup or something" she suggests and I roll my eyes. 

"Whatever. Are we going to class?" I ask Drake. Ariana huffs, breaking her embrace with Drake and storming off but I don't care in the slightest. I needed her to hate me if Maya was going to have any chance at gaining her trust. 

"We could go to class" he agrees. "Or I could introduce you to my favorite extra curricular activity" he suggests and my interest peaks. 

"Extra curricular?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at him and he laughs, standing up straight and patting my shoulder. 

"Just trust me" he insists as the bell rings and the two of us climb into his car. 

***********************************************************************************************

Drake takes me to a park down the street and while it's chilly, it's not too terrible and because of the chill we have the whole place to ourselves. "So, Meg giving you shit yet?" he asks, pulling something from his pocket. 

"Shit? About what?"

He laughs, laying a bag of marijuana on the table while he digs into his pocket. "About knocking her up" he replies as if this should've been obvious. "Trust me, she'll be hysteric by the time she's ready to pop that thing out." I eye him wearily as he pulls rolling papers out of his pocket. 

"How do you know so much about pregnancy hormones?" I ask carefully and he shrugs, opening the bag. 

"My sister isn't exactly good at keeping her legs closed. I have two nieces and a nephew, all with different fathers, and my sister was a complete and utter bitch during all three of her pregnancies. She'd constantly complain about how awful the guy was that knocked her up and then she'd let it happen again. It's super fun" he adds sarcastically as he finishes rolling the joint he was working on. "Here" he offers and my eyes widen. I couldn't smoke that. I couldn't go home to my actual pregnant fiancee high as a kite. 

"I'm good man."

"You won't be" he insists, placing the joint in my hand. "I'll make you a few. Trust me, it'll be a good release when Meg gets on your nerves."

I stare at the joint in my hand and swallow harshly. Evidently this mission was going to be a little easier than I previously thought. 

***********************************************************************************************

I'm in the kitchen working on dinner when Josh gets home. I smile when my eyes land on him but it quickly falters when he storms into the kitchen and tosses a handful of joints onto the counter. "W-where did you get those?" I stutter, looking up at my fiance. 

"Drake" he replies, rubbing his neck. "He said they'll help when you get on my nerves" he explains and my eyes widen as I reach out to grab one. 

"So what?" I ask, staring at the drugs in my hand. "We can prove that he does marijuana but babe" I sigh, dropping it back onto the counter. "Most of America does it, hell, it's legal in some states. We can't get more than a possession charge that would probably just be dismissed on hearsay because you were the only witness."

"But it's a start."

"Well yes-."

"So we'll turn it over to Aaron."

I sigh. "Of course we're going to turn it over but Aaron won't make any move with this little evidence. It's a good start but it's not nearly enough babe."

"But if he handed this over that easily don't you think it's only a matter of time before he starts with the more serious stuff?"

"Josh, I think right now you're just getting ahead of yourself. We need to take this slow or else mistakes will get made. We'll take these to Aaron tomorrow but please, don't try to rush this. I don't want a repeat of what happened to us in the past."

A soft smile tugs at his lips as he comes around the counter to stand beside me. "I'll never let anything like that happen ever again. I promise" he murmurs, kissing the top of my head. "I love you."

"I love you more" I reply, reaching up to kiss him.